Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cornflkz
Level 8

I keep getting the wrong model soundbar -- am I crazy?!

I've bought now 3 Roku Smart Soundbars... Twice from Best Buy and once from Amazon. And everytime I think I'm buying the regular model (9101r) but when I open the box an check the model on the actual unit, I keep getting the 'onn.' Walmart model (9101x). Am crazy? What is going on with Roku? Did they just send a bad batch of units to my region?

The box shows the correct model but unit itself does not. I even thought maybe it was just a missprint but when I plugged in the Soundbar and went through the set-up, the default name the device gets is 'onn. Roku Smart Soundbar' so clearly this is the lesser-quality version soundbar. Apart from also not sound so great, etc.

Roku, fix this!

Roku Smart Soundbar  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: I keep getting the wrong model soundbar -- am I crazy?!

I own both models of Roku soundbar, Roku brand has this when you go to settings> system> about> 

Model: 9101x Roku Soundbar

The Walmart Onn roku soundbar has this in the about:

Model 9100x Onn tm- Roku Soundbar

The R & X do not designate Roku over Onn soundbars. The un-open box with Soundbar and accessories will have R in the model number which stands for Retail. Nowadays the Roku by itself only has the x suffix. So the Roku branded Soundbar is the 9101r or x. The Onn is 9100R or x.

If you're found true Onn soundbars in the Roku box it was probably switched out during a return. Any of the two you purchased come with Wifi Voice remote? The Onn only comes with IR remote. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Sorry about the late reply, I just ran across your post.

The 9100x is a stripped down model available from Walmart under its Onn label, with a peak power of 40 watts. It comes with an infrared direct-line-of site remote.

The 9101r is available from Roku directly as well as Best Buy. It has a peak power rating of 60 watts. It comes with a point-anywhere voice remote that allows you to do voice searches. It is also compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa voice assistants.

Data source: https://www.ecoustics.com/products/roku-smart-soundbar-2019/

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
cornflkz
Level 8

Than why did the soundbar got the "onn. Roku Smart Soundbar" as its default name when I added it to my Roku account?

0 Kudos
cornflkz
Level 8

I ordered one from Amazon just to be safe and I got still got the 9100x model in a 9100r box. =/

I gave up and just ordered another brand soundbar.

0 Kudos