Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
albstaten

I have to power cycle my Roku Express to get it to come on

I have a Roku Express. It's plugged into the Roku AC adapter to the same wall power as the TV and Receiver. The HDMI is plugged into the receiver and fed from there to the TV.

I can turn on the receiver and the TV by remote, but when the Roku is off, it doesn't respond to its remote. I have to unplug the USB cord from the back of the Roku and power cycle it to turn it on.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I have to power cycle my Roku Express to get it to come on

@albstaten wrote:

... I can turn on the receiver and the TV by remote, but when the Roku is off, it doesn't respond to its remote. ...

Roku devices don't actually turn off. But one thing you said is slightly confusing, so I'm asking for clarification.

You said you have a Roku Express. Those come with a Simple Remote. Yes, you can purchase a Voice Remote to work with them, but you've not indicated anything of the sort in your post.

You mention turning on the TV by the remote. This is the TV remote, right?

Assuming that, you're then saying that after the TV is on, you are using the Roku remote to attempt to awaken it. I'm assuming you're hitting the Home button?

Now, while your Roku doesn't have an off switch, some Roku devices will go into a low power mode based on settings. I'm uncertain if your Roku Express has a Power setting on the menu system. If it does, disable the sleep or low power mode (uncertain of the wording; my Roku doesn't have that) and see if that makes a difference.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
JudyJames
Binge Watcher

I'm having a similar issue.  When I turn on our Samsung smart TV, and change the input to the Roku, the TV can't find it, the Roku (we have the Express 4k+) appears to be off, and the blue light on the Roku is off.  I currently have the Roku and our sound bar plugged into a power strip, and the only way I've found to get it to respond is to cycle the power strip off/on.  Once I do that, it comes on right away, and the TV can see it.  

I didn't have the issue when I was using wifi and had the power coming via USB from the TV, but I switched to a wired internet connection for better speed, and am now plugging the Roku into the power strip, per the directions that came with the ethernet adapter.  Would it have enough power for the wired connection if I went back to plugging the USB into the TV?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@JudyJames 

Try pressing the Home button on the Roku remote to wake it up and see if your TV recognizes it. (when you press the Home button the light on the device should come on).

Also, you may consider disabling the Power Savings feature of the Roku device as it can cause some unwanted behaviors.

Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings [Disable]

---

Per your question re:power, it is better to leave plugged into the USB adapter at the wall.  The power ports on the TV can start to wane and then causes weird issues with the Roku device, even leading to premature device failure.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
JudyJames
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the reply.

I learned that powering the Roku through the USB port on the TV does work, and eliminates the power issue.

I will be dumping our Dish in the near future and re-configuring all the wiring behind the TV, and then will try plugging it into the wall again to see if pressing the Home button wakes it up.  

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@JudyJames 

I am following now what is happening to you.

When you are plugged into your TV USB power port, the the power port is powering down the Roku when the TV is shut off.  When you turn your TV on, the Roku is likely completing a full boot up ( similar to either restarting or unplugging/plugging in the Roku device).  

When you plug the Roku device into the wall outlet, the Roku device is not going to fully power down.  It will go into the sleep mode after you press Home button on your remote when you are finished streaming.  Once it enters the sleep mode, you just need to press the Home button again to wake it up.  Since your Roku device is in more of a standby mode, it does not complete a full reboot which should make the device start up a bit quicker.

---

There is a difference of opinion here whether the device should/can be completely powered down daily and it's effect on the device.  Since these are really pi-like computers, I personally don't see an issue with unplugging/power down.  As long as it is returned to the Home Screen prior to shutting down, should help to minimize any negative effects.

It is recommended to use wall power though as explained above.  If you choose to use your TV power port, since yours is powering down with your TV, you may want to periodically manually check for software updates since they are unlikely available to check for and install when your device is fully powered down.

Settings/System/Software Update

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
JudyJames
Binge Watcher

Thank you for the more complete explanation.  I was not aware that I needed to press the Home button when I'm finished streaming, I've been simply switching back to the Dish or to the antenna.

I'll give it another try plugged into the power strip and pressing the Home button before and after streaming.

0 Kudos