Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Camdosall
Level 7

I am unable to use existing account with new device

I got a new Roku premiere but it won’t send an activation email. There are no errors or other indications something is wrong I just wait until the device tells me the link has timed out and offers me a resend button. I double checked the email address and looked through my spam folder. Nothing. When I tried to send an activation email to my work email account it was there in under a minute. Problem is I don’t want to activate this device on my work email, but the email address that my other Roku device to on still doesn’t work.

please help

6 REPLIES 6\
Timmahh949
Level 7

Re: I am unable to use existing account with new device

I have this same exact issue.  Please help!

0 Kudos
Z1
Level 7

I also have a similar problem:  Roku needs to do a better job on this!  This is my first Roku and I can't even get past activating it, following all the instructions Roku setup!

I went through the entire setup, step by step, (keep in mind I have worked in the troubleshooting computer problems field for many years).  I was prompted to setup a Roku account, which I did within the allowed time (Stupid that it times out within 15 min), and my Roku Ultra was supposed to recognize that I completed the account setup, which it DID NOT!  Now I'm in this endless loop, where the Roku Ultra doesn't give me the option, (even thought in other posts it looks like it is available), to link to an existing account.  The Roku Ultra is also SUPPOSED TO recognize the email address that you input, as having an existing account, if you already have an account, WHICH DOESN'T WORK EITHER!  TOTALLY FRUSTRATING!  This is my introduction to the world of Roku.  I don't know why these companies don't work this **bleep** out.  It's a terrible start, and this is what a new customer faces. 

At any rate, now that I'm done releasing my frustration of just trying to setup this frigging box, can anyone help?  Does it take some time, a day, a week, etc... for the Roku account to be recognized, being it's a new account?  Why can't I get to a prompt, where I can link the device to an Existing Account?  Any ideas?

Thank you to the community.

To Roku:  These type of activation problems should be UNACCEPTABLE!  And why do I have to go to The Community, just to get an answer to a setup question?  Why is there no instant chat available to deal with setup problems?  I'm a new customer, and this has already left a bad taste in my mouth, in regards to Roku.  Do you think I would recommend a Roku, when I need assistance from the community (heaven forbid that there would be someone I could contact at Roku) just to get past the setup?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
MoireStudio
Level 7

Z1... I understand your frustration.  This is my second Roku and before this event I LOVED my first device.  After working out the kinks with the Ultra, I love the new features of this one even more (with one issue with Netflix that Roku can't fix-- but that's for another post).

Regarding your activation... I went back and forth with Roku for weeks with ineffective solutions (restart the box, factory reset the box, change the HDMI cable, change the port... etc.).  Finally pleading with them to stop with the circular support process and just send me a new one.  This process was annoying so I'd recommend just exchanging it for a new one at the store that you bought it or buying a new one and sending back the defective one.

The new unit activated smoothly for whatever reason.

0 Kudos
Z1
Level 7

Thank you for your response:  I purchased the Roku Ultra direct from the Roku website, and from the other posts I have read, my setup issue isn't the only BAD CUSTOMER SUPPORT problem experienced by The Community.  It seems that it gets even worse when you try to contact someone at Roku. Trying to return a defective unit, could be mean even more stress and frustration than I have already experienced.  After reading other posts, I think I'm already at my limit with this company.

0 Kudos
Z1
Level 7

I contacted Roku,  via instant chat, which I think was under Support - Setup - Contact Us, or something close to that directory on this website.  I insisted that the representative NOT send my issue to Customer Service, as I read so many messages on how terrible that experience has been for people.  I let the Rep know that I am a computer tech, so we could skip all the redundant - going over all the setup steps again.  She was awesome, and she agreed to exchange the new Roku Ultra unit, I bought directly from the Roku website, for a new one.  The new one had NO issues during the setup, and is working fine;  so the problem is either in the box itself, or the problem is with the updated software, that is immediately downloaded during the setup procedure. 

0 Kudos
Z1
Level 7

Hi

Just wanted to thank MoireStudio again for posting a response here.  I was able to exchange the Roku Ultra box that didn't work, for another brand new unit.  MoireStudio is correct, the new unit works fine, and the setup went smoothly.  For those who are having this type of setup problem, where the Roku Ultra box won't recognize your established Roku account, you should seek to get a replacement unit, because that fixed the issue for me, and evidently it also worked for MoireStudio .  Thank you.

0 Kudos