Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

How to turn off recommendations pop up ad

Ok, So please tell me there's a way to disable the recommendation pop up ads. They are annoying and pop up at weird times with no relevant information  that I care about. It also will pop up even if I am on a different input playing my PS4. This is getting me extremely aggravated since I didn't pay the money I did for a roku stick to bombard me with adds.  that pop up during movies. Especially if they don't have information I care about. If there's not a way to turn this off. I'll just go back to my firestick. It is't as good as the roku. But I don't get random pop up ads.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: How to turn off recommendations pop up ad

I've never seen such a thing.  Are you sure it's not your TV?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Tv isn't hooked up to the internet. I actually don't like the "smart" aspect of my tv. So I don't use it. and It has only done this with the Roku. it didn't do it when I did use the smart part of it nor when I had a firestick. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

There is no way for a Roku (or other device for that matter) to put anything on your screen when your tv is set to display a different input. There has to be something else going on. What make and model of tv are you using?
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Don't know the model but its a 55' Sharp 4k UHD. About 3 or 4 years old.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

You said you don't use the smart features on the TV, but is it connected to the Internet? Odds are, some update enabled ads and recommendations. You will need to go through it's settings to see if they can be turned off.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

No it's not connected at all. The only thing connected to the internet on my TV is the Roku stick and the PS4 which I've only had for 3 weeks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

As noted, there is no way the Roku can cause popups on another input. It has to be the TV itself. You need to go through the settings and make sure it didn't somehow connect itself to a WiFi network. I wouldn't be surprised if they could use open networks like xfinitywifi to use a special account for access. In addition to checking if there is any Internet connection, look for options to disable recommendations.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I'll figure it out. Or i'll just get something else. BTW you say it can't be Roku. But Roku is on the list on the link you posted. 

0 Kudos