Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Egolding
Level 7

How to set Roku Streaming Stick + to start up with specific channel selected.

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Streaming stick+ for my 91 year old mother in law. Roku was chosen to display the single channel she watches - EWTN - Europe. At 91 she is doing well to select HDMI1 on the TV to show the Roku device! I wanted to check if there is a way to set this channel as a default so the Roku switches on with this channel selected. I assume the Roku can be set to turn on with the TV using CEC?

Can the 2 hour standby be defeated as well?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 21

Re: How to set Roku Streaming Stick + to start up with specific channel selected.

Jump to solution

There is no way to have the Roku auto-select a particular channel when started. But the 4 hour bandwidth saver timer can be disabled in the Settings/Network menu.

CEC is capable of turning the TV on when a button is pressed on the Roku menu, and changing the TV input to the Roku. However, if you are powering the Stick from a TV USB port (I don't recommend doing that, many TVs don't provide enough power) then the Roku isn't powered on so that won't work. 

If the Stick is connected to power with the provided wall connection, then the Roku is always "on" and pressing the Home button on the remote will turn the TV on via CEC, as long as the TV supports that. It works just fine on my Samsung TVs. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 21

Re: How to set Roku Streaming Stick + to start up with specific channel selected.

Jump to solution

There is no way to have the Roku auto-select a particular channel when started. But the 4 hour bandwidth saver timer can be disabled in the Settings/Network menu.

CEC is capable of turning the TV on when a button is pressed on the Roku menu, and changing the TV input to the Roku. However, if you are powering the Stick from a TV USB port (I don't recommend doing that, many TVs don't provide enough power) then the Roku isn't powered on so that won't work. 

If the Stick is connected to power with the provided wall connection, then the Roku is always "on" and pressing the Home button on the remote will turn the TV on via CEC, as long as the TV supports that. It works just fine on my Samsung TVs. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos