Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackVette
Binge Watcher

Re: How to save preferred (default) Guest Mode settings

Jump to solution

@Apollo11 

I have the exact same puzzlement....

I just looked again, and I don't see where the user is asked for login under guest mode.

All I want is the ability to set the default apps during guest mode.  If a guest adds or deletes...  Fine.  The next guest will get the default.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JackVette

@Apollo11

It has been some time since I used Guest Mode. I tested it with a family member shortly after it was introduced, and, while I admit I may be mistaken, I seem to recall the family member being able to log in.

Looking over the instructions again, I'm seeing no reference to allowing them to sign in with their own account: Guest Mode

It appears my memory is faulty in this regards, and I have caused unnecessary delays in getting a good answer. Please accept my apology for this.

I'm going to tag some users that may have better information about this. @atc98092 @renojim @makaiguy @AvsGunnar @Tivoburkee @Strega 

That's a Roku Expert Dream Team right there. They can correct the bad information I have provided, and offer assistance on this.

Now I know my task for the weekend: relearn Guest Mode and learn it right this time.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I've never used guest mode. But my understanding is it's solely to permit someone to use their own credentials for specific channels, such as Netflix. I don't think there's any way to link the Roku itself to a different Roku user account. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
JackVette
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@DBDukes @Apollo11 

Thank you DBDukes.  No problem.

I appreciate your help and correction.

It appears Guest mode allows a user's credentials to be wiped out after they "check out", keeping their information more secure.

I am either going to leave instructions for guests on how to load Spectrum on the device or create a new account without guest mode.

Neither option is good....

RM13

Jump to solution

@JackVette 

I am looking for this same exact feature.  I have put in the welcome message to add Spectrum for tv, on the TVs without a cable box, but the message is very character limited.

I see Roku OS 11 is coming out and hoping they allow default apps for guest mode, but didn't see anything in the release notes.  I would like to get rid of the cable box on the main tv as well if the Spectrum app could be on each automatically for guest mode.

Figured I'd replay as well so I can see any updates to this thread.

bills121nc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This exactly describes the problem that I have!  

I need to provide local tv channels and content to guests and can do that by providing Spectrum using their streaming App, but can't use guest mode because I cant make the Spectrum app one of the default apps that loads in guest mode.  Seems like a simple fix from Roku. 

The 4 digit pin code to restrict purchases is not sufficient security for this purpose either.  We need the ability to disable purchases entirely or not be forced to enter credit card info on setup?

BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@bills121nc  You can remove your credit card from your Roku account. I just did. 

0 Kudos
bills121nc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks!  I would not have seen that option if you hadn't told me.

Discovered another issue with guest mode.  If you use wifi to connect, it forgets your wifi credentials when guest mode resets for the next guest. Arggh!

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

This is not ideal but can you put the TV in guest mode and then add the Spectrum App each time you have guests.  Don't have to set up the entire channel list just add Spectrum App.  

0 Kudos
JackVette
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I thought about that, and it was an option.....

But, that meant that every week for every TV (ten of them), the app would need to be reloaded and I would have to leave instructions for the guests.

I felt that if the instructions were not followed (or got lost), it would cause guest frustration.

Worse would be if a guest thought I didn't provide any service to them.

I think my scenario is a perfect example of where Guest Mode would shine.  Instead Roku made Guest Mode unappealing for me.

BTW, it worked great when I had a cable box on each TV as the Cable box was always there as a choice.  I just want the replacement app there as a choice.