Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Apollo11
Channel Surfer

How to save preferred (default) Guest Mode settings

Jump to solution

I purchased a Roku Express HD for my small B&B.  The guest mode seemed a perfect solution as it logs the guests out of their accounts upon their departure date.  As I don't want my guests to have to go to the bother of installing specific apps, I spent a lot of time setting up the device with the apps that I wanted to provide (and removing those that I didn't want). 

However, after the guest signs out and I put it back into guest mode ready for the next guest, the installed apps revert to the default set and I have to set it all up again.  Is there any way of getting the Roku to remember the apps I install for guest mode?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to save preferred (default) Guest Mode settings

Jump to solution

@Apollo11 

Moving to Guest Mode allows the guest to sign in with the guest's own Roku account. When they do that, they won't have any apps that were on the device, but rather, the device with set it up with the apps that are actually tied to the guest's Roku account. So any that were there would be gone, unless of course they had them on their Roku devices at home.

Think about like this. Suppose I handed you a Roku device. Then you tied it to your account. All my apps would go away, and all your apps would replace them. It's how Roku works. Guest mode is simply a temporary way to allow that, with it reverting back after a period of time.

Perhaps I'm not understanding something about your setup.

If you're wanting to provide a Roku device with apps that you determine, and not what the guest determines, then that's not really guest mode. That's "here, use this setup." If that's what you're after, then set up a second Roku account and tie the B&B Roku to that account, and set up the apps you want. Then they will have a pre-set group of apps.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Apollo11

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about Guest Mode functionality, visit our Support page here: Let visitors sign into your Roku with Guest Mode

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Apollo11
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sadly, the article on setting up guest mode does not answer my question. I would like the Roku to remember the channels that I have installed for my guests and not revert to a "default" set every time a guest signs out. I cannot afford the time to go through and re-install channels (and delete others) between every guest.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Apollo11 

Moving to Guest Mode allows the guest to sign in with the guest's own Roku account. When they do that, they won't have any apps that were on the device, but rather, the device with set it up with the apps that are actually tied to the guest's Roku account. So any that were there would be gone, unless of course they had them on their Roku devices at home.

Think about like this. Suppose I handed you a Roku device. Then you tied it to your account. All my apps would go away, and all your apps would replace them. It's how Roku works. Guest mode is simply a temporary way to allow that, with it reverting back after a period of time.

Perhaps I'm not understanding something about your setup.

If you're wanting to provide a Roku device with apps that you determine, and not what the guest determines, then that's not really guest mode. That's "here, use this setup." If that's what you're after, then set up a second Roku account and tie the B&B Roku to that account, and set up the apps you want. Then they will have a pre-set group of apps.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

danitaz
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It really doesn't look like you can create your own "Guest" setup.  The default Roku setup is always enabled when you are in Guest Mode.  Your guests can add new channels on their own, and perhaps you could create a little flyer with instructions on how to do that, but there really isn't a way that I can see to customize the "Guest Mode" and have it stay.

Danita

Roku Express, Roki Streaming Stick, Roku TV.
I'm not a Roku employee. Just a TV streaming geek since 2008!

If this post solves your problem you can help others find the solution too! Just click "Accept as Solution."
danitaz
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes, this is how I understand it now as well.  I think the OP was hoping that he could set up a "default" guest mode account that would be there when no one was signed in.  However, he cannot alter Roku's own default setup.  Once someone signs out of Guest Mode, the device goes back to factory settings.  I think the OP wanted to provide the apps that HE thinks are most important, not the apps that are presented by default on the Roku before logging in.  I get what he is wanting.  I also realize it's not what Roku is providing in Guest Mode.

Danita

Roku Express, Roki Streaming Stick, Roku TV.
I'm not a Roku employee. Just a TV streaming geek since 2008!

If this post solves your problem you can help others find the solution too! Just click "Accept as Solution."
Apollo11
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You're spot on @danitaz, that's exactly what I was hoping to do. I wanted to be able to choose the "default" apps which would be available each time the device is put into guest mode.  The default selection provided by Roku contains some apps which will be of no interest to my guests and it doesn't contain others which I would expect it to.  It seems that this is not possible so I will have to leave it to my guests to install apps if they need them.  It would be nice to think that maybe Roku could add this feature in the future.

Thank you to all of you who have replied and offered advice, it's greatly appreciated.

@danitaz @DBDukes @RokuDanny-R 

JackVette
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My situation is that I have a beach house I rent out.  It has 10 TV's in the house which used to each have a cable box.

I decided to go pure streaming for the TV's and eliminate the cable boxes.

I previously had three Roku TV's and enabled guest mode on each.  That was great because they got a welcome message and their information was lost after their check out day.

Now I pay for Spectrum TV, but without the cable boxes.  Spectrum requires no password or username because it is on my network. I first checked that Roku supported spectrum, which it does. 

I thought that when guest mode was enabled, Spectrum would just be an option they would pick and all would be good.  I couldn't have been more disappointed to find Spectrum not preloaded in guest mode.

Additionally, I can't set up the default guest mode apps....

this leaves me in a bad situation.... 

I can leave guest mode off, but my account can be compromised.  

I can leave guest mode on, and my guests may think I took away the paid for channels.

I can create a new account, but guests may have their information compromised if they forget to log off of each TV.

Why would you not just let me configure the default guest mode apps???

Apollo11
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm a bit puzzled by some of the comments on here about guest mode.  On my Roku, when I put it into guest mode, I don't see an option for the guest to log into their Roku account (it's unlikely that many of my guests will have a Roku account in any case).  Putting my Roku into guest mode simply wipes any previous app logins and restores the default set of apps.  All it asks me for is the date when I want to log out which I set to their check-out date.

JackVette
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@DBDukes 

Thank you for the reply.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I don't see where the user logs in??

When I activate guest mode, it looks like they get a welcome screen then enter the date they are leaving.

From there, enters guest mode after a restart.  

I don't see where they are asked for any log in information?

As I said, I'm disappointed because I really liked guest mode.  All I want is the ability to choose the default apps......

I'm now leaning toward created a new user account just for this home.  I'm betting guests will leave their apps logged in creating a security issue for them....

Given my options, this may be the least poor.