Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AG120

How to remove the screensaver- Not Connected to Wifi / Remote not working/ App remote not working

Jump to solution

Hi 

I have run into an odd problem here . 

My Tv is connected to Roku Streaming Stick (Model 3810X). The Remote doesn't work and i use my app as remote. Right now my screen shows Roku Screen saver.

I recently had to change my Wifi Router and replaced with a new one and so i am trying to get into Roku. 

Problem- I am unable to remove the screensaver. 

Remote doesn't work . I also  bought a new remote from Roku and that did not work as well.  It did  not turn off screensaver

App doesn't work as i am no longer on same wifi 

How do i turn off screensaver so that i can get into Roku?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to remove the screensaver- Not Connected to Wifi / Remote not working/ App remote not workin

Jump to solution

Remove the power from the Streaming Stick+ (3810) for a few seconds then plug it back in.  That will cause it to reboot and should go to the home page.

That gets you out of the screen saver BUT that alone won't do what you need.  The Roku app on your phone can only connect to a Roku that is ALREADY on the same network your phone is using.  This means you can't use your phone to connect your Roku to a different network -- for this you need a functioning remote. 

Streaming sticks are typically used behind the TV where direct line-of-sight infrared (IR) remotes cannot reach so they use point-anywhere remotes that connect to the Roku via wifi-direct.  These have a pairing button in the battery compartment and must be paired to the Roku before they can establish control.  If there is no pairing button, it is an IR remote and won't work with a Streaming Stick. 

If you need a replacement remote get the Roku Voice Remote which you can purchase from Roku (https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/streaming-stick#Remotes) or from numerous other sources such as Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, Target, etc.

Video from Roku re how to pair a point-anywhere remote to your Roku:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3T6eXqPU8

There is one remote (no pun intended) possibility you can still connect using the Roku app on your phone. If your Roku was previously set up on a prior network, and if the Roku has not had its net connection reset nor undergone a factory reset, it may still be trying to connect to its former net. If you can set your router to the same net name (SSID) and password as your previous setup, your Roku may connect to it. If it does, and you connect your phone to that same net, you should again be able to control your Roku via the Roku app.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to remove the screensaver- Not Connected to Wifi / Remote not working/ App remote not workin

Jump to solution

Remove the power from the Streaming Stick+ (3810) for a few seconds then plug it back in.  That will cause it to reboot and should go to the home page.

That gets you out of the screen saver BUT that alone won't do what you need.  The Roku app on your phone can only connect to a Roku that is ALREADY on the same network your phone is using.  This means you can't use your phone to connect your Roku to a different network -- for this you need a functioning remote. 

Streaming sticks are typically used behind the TV where direct line-of-sight infrared (IR) remotes cannot reach so they use point-anywhere remotes that connect to the Roku via wifi-direct.  These have a pairing button in the battery compartment and must be paired to the Roku before they can establish control.  If there is no pairing button, it is an IR remote and won't work with a Streaming Stick. 

If you need a replacement remote get the Roku Voice Remote which you can purchase from Roku (https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/streaming-stick#Remotes) or from numerous other sources such as Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, Target, etc.

Video from Roku re how to pair a point-anywhere remote to your Roku:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3T6eXqPU8

There is one remote (no pun intended) possibility you can still connect using the Roku app on your phone. If your Roku was previously set up on a prior network, and if the Roku has not had its net connection reset nor undergone a factory reset, it may still be trying to connect to its former net. If you can set your router to the same net name (SSID) and password as your previous setup, your Roku may connect to it. If it does, and you connect your phone to that same net, you should again be able to control your Roku via the Roku app.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos