Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trckfast
Reel Rookie

How to pair a replacement remote to the Roku stick

I have received a replacement remote for my Roku stick that was sent out by Roku. Unfortunately I can't pair the remote no matter what I do. I have unplugged the remote, replaced batteries, held the remote in direct line of sight to the device. The pairing button does not light up no matter how long I hold it for. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: How to pair a replacement remote to the Roku stick

What Roku model # and firmware version do you have?  Settings/System/About

What Roku remote model did you get? (name and model from box and  inside battery compartment)

(You can use the Roku Remote app on a phone/tablet to check system information, etc if your Roku is connected to your network)

0 Kudos
Trckfast
Reel Rookie

3810x. Unfortunately I can't get to the firmware version because of the remote.

The remote I received is Model: RC-EL1

I can't use the app because the roku device and my phone are on two different networks. College campus puts the roku on a network for gaming and streaming only. 

Some luck lol

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

That remote should work with your 3810.

However, If the green LED doesnt flash after holding down the pairing button for at least 5 seconds (with multiple sets of batteries), then it sounds like you have a bad new remote.

You should return/exchange/RMA it:    https://support.roku.com/contactus

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Trckfast, make sure you're really depressing the button.  Recently someone said his wife could get the remote to go into pairing mode when he couldn't which makes me think her smaller fingers could depress the button while his couldn't.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

One additional thought ...

You may find your Roku is only receptive to the pairing request from the remote for a short period of time after it starts up. Try pulling the power to the Roku for a few seconds then plugging it back in and waiting for it to start up before reinserting the batteries in the remote and pressing the pairing button.

Video from Roku re how to pair point-anywhere remote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3T6eXqPU8

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos