Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: How to mirror a wired network computer

actually, my bad.. I just double checked, the pc does have to have wifi turned on. I have a usb nano dongle for wifi, tho it's not connected to a wifi network and both my pc and roku are ethernet connected to my home network and not using wifi networking.. so the miracast is using the hardwired connection.. unless somehow it's using direct connect without being on a network or something.. I dunno. but I tested it and if I turn off the wifi, miracast simply wont work as I run the "connect" app in the start menu and it tells me my pc doesn't have the hardware to do it. turn the wifi back on, it works.... this seems like a design flaw or just poor design (as it assumes all devices have wifi), sigh. I mean, what difference does it make if the devices are wired or not as long as they are on the same trusted network? 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: How to mirror a wired network computer

"sgtspoon" wrote:
actually, my bad.. I just double checked, the pc does have to have wifi turned on. I have a usb nano dongle for wifi, tho it's not connected to a wifi network and both my pc and roku are ethernet connected to my home network and not using wifi networking.. so the miracast is using the hardwired connection.. unless somehow it's using direct connect without being on a network or something.. I dunno. but I tested it and if I turn off the wifi, miracast simply wont work as I run the "connect" app in the start menu and it tells me my pc doesn't have the hardware to do it. turn the wifi back on, it works.... this seems like a design flaw or just poor design (as it assumes all devices have wifi), sigh. I mean, what difference does it make if the devices are wired or not as long as they are on the same trusted network? 

Yes, it's directly connecting your PC to the Roku via the Wi-Fi. I don't think Roku has implemented Miracast over Infrastructure, yet. Since it seems to be more for enterprise usage, that's probably why.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos