Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xtal_01
Level 7

How to mirror a wired network computer

I have searched this topic all over the web but for some reason I just can't find an answer.

I have two computers and a roku on a wired network (running through a switch and then to the modem.

Works great .... LOVE MY ROKU.

I got the roku to see my computer and can play files using the media player on Roku ... GREAT!

Now, if I am watching something on my computer that there is no channel for ( like something other than youtube), how can I mirror the screen so that I can see it on the Roku?  I tried a few of the things they said on the web but for some reason I think all the ones I found referred ti a wireless network (I get error messages saying my computer does not support mirroring).  I am using an old desktop computer running windows 7 on one and windows 10 on the other.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks ..... Mike

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: How to mirror a wired network computer

Miracast Mirroring works only via Wi-Fi Direct (WiDi), so Wireless is required. Does not go through your Router at all, it is a direct connection from the PC to the Roku via Wi-Fi. Also, requires Windows 8 or above.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
xtal_01
Level 7

Is there any other program I can use that does the same thing but not using wifi (maybe using the hard wired network)?

The computer (even if I added a wifi adapter) is at one end of the house and the Roku about 60 ft away at the other end ... wifi would be limited at best (and most likely none) ... this is one reason I wired in the roku (it would not work using the wifi router).

Thanks again .... Mike
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"xtal_01" wrote:
Is there any other program I can use that does the same thing but not using wifi (maybe using the hard wired network)?

The computer (even if I added a wifi adapter) is at one end of the house and the Roku about 60 ft away at the other end ... wifi would be limited at best (and most likely none) ... this is one reason I wired in the roku (it would not work using the wifi router).

Thanks again .... Mike

No, only works with Wi-Fi. It's a hardware level limitation, not software.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Android devices (phones and tablets) can screen mirror fine to a Roku, but if you don't already have one that's a significant expense. Windows screen mirroring is so hit or miss I don't recommend even bothering with it. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
xtal_01
Level 7

I appreciate the help.

We are in rural Vermont ... not may TV stations here (I use an antenna .... I would rather put extra money on the mortgage then pay for cable).

My wife has gotten into politics and watches a lot of live events on facebook.  It would be nice to watch them on the TV rather than the computer.

Thanks again .... Mike
0 Kudos
Vorg
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
Android devices (phones and tablets) can screen mirror fine to a Roku, but if you don't already have one that's a significant expense. Windows screen mirroring is so hit or miss I don't recommend even bothering with it. 

We have a Galaxy Tab A and I was not able to get screen mirroring to work. According to one site I found, it's not supported on that tablet. Also installed gps essensuals and found the compass didn't work. Shows a compass, but does nothing when you move the tablet.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 9

You could try Plex. For many Facebook videos you can use a function of Plex called "Plex it" and for that use you do not even need to install a local server.

Basic Plex is all you need so it is free. For the ability to use the "Plex it" feature you do not need a "Plex Pass" or any other paid feature and the Roku client (app) is free.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
xtal_01
Level 7

Awesome!

Back some time ago, I used plex ... think I was trying to see the videos on my computer before I figured out that roku had a media  player.

I didn't know what else it could do.

I will give it a try!

Thanks so much .... Mike
0 Kudos
sgtspoon
Level 7

actually, as of update 1703, miracast can be done over a wired network.. but it does try to default to a wifi connection if it can't connect.. so it's a bit of a hassle. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface-hub/miracast-over-infrastructure

also, screen mirroring works with a galaxy tab a, I use it all the time.

make sure under roku settings you have screen mirroring allowed, and also under system/advanced system settings you have direct connection allowed as well. 

both can be a bit finicky tho, miracast more so than from the android tab... 

and if you have the you tube app installed on the roku, you can cast any youtube video to it via a pc or phone app by hitting the cast button on the video on the device you want to cast from and it doesn't have to be specifically wireless (my roku is hardwired, as is my PC which doesn't have wifi.. both are ethernet connected via wifi router).. I can cast youtube videos this way from my phone, tablet (both wireless) or my PC to my big screen tv via roku.. it's very mildly finicky, meaning it may take a try or two but that's about the extent of the hassle. 

I haven't tried the plex method, but I do use plex and didn't know that feature.. god I love that program.. so awesome. 
0 Kudos