Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

How to fix Spanish subtitles when the system is set to English subtitles?

I struggle to hear the dialogue in most all movies and shows. I rely on English subtitles to understand what they’re saying. For some reason recently, all my subtitles across multiple apps have changed to Spanish and I cannot get them to change back to English. The Roku system caption language setting is English. I’ve gone through the apps themselves to change subtitles to English and that doesn’t work either. Anyone know how to fix this? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: How to fix Spanish subtitles when the system is set to English subtitles?

@ikia2034  Thanks for the note here. A few more questions here:

- Is your Roku's system language set to English? If so, and you are still seeing closed captions in Spanish, it's possible that this may need to be adjusted within the specific channel(s) settings themselves. Some channels manage closed caption settings independently from your Roku's settings. Changing the option inside each channel may help resolve the issue.

- What specific streaming channel(s) are you using when you see this issue? 

- What model of Roku device are you using? 

Please keep us posted from there and we'll continue assisting you.  

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have also been having this problem specifically with some shows on the NBC app.  I have checked the language settings on both Roku and the app (which doesn't have its own settings, it says to change the settings in Roku).  It actually shows both English and Spanish captioning at once and makes them go by so fast you can't read them.  This just started 2 or 3 weeks ago.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

This just happened to me today. Yeaterday I was watching the syfy app without issues on the captions and now all of a sudden they are in Spanish. I have turned off the captions, reset the captions, and other options with no luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

This is happening to me in the USA app. The app itself doesn't have a way to change languages and my Roku is set to English. Every other app/channel I use is showing up English.

I have a Roku Premier HD 4K.

0 Kudos