Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sfields
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku guest mode

Jump to solution

I’ve never received a response, though for some reason it hasn’t been a problem for a while (6+ months).  Perhaps there was a software update at some point?  

0 Kudos
Oeyal
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

No response. No fix. Frustrating.

0 Kudos
GREGSO
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem still on my Streambar (currently it's 1/17/2021). The one thing I noticed recently is that upon a restart to get it back to the regular welcome guest mode screen (that the new incoming guest would normally see), the Roku wasn't conneccting to my WiFi, so this leads me to believe that when the current guest's checkout date comes and the Roku is trying to sign them out in order to revert back to the welcome mode for the next guest that perhaps the internet connection has been interrupted and the Roku device doesn't know the current date and time, so it's defaulting to 12/31/1969...hopefully some engineers at Roku can test this theory and, if it's the source of the glitch, fix their code. 

sfields
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Your theory makes sense.  Some people in this thread have had a simultaneous issue with 12 devices.  It is likely an issue with how Roku functions when there is an internet gap at certain times. 

0 Kudos
Sublimation
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I agree, this is a good working theory. Went to test a hardwired connection until I realized there wasn't one. Smiley Frustrated

I have opened a support request on this and will share anything that comes back

Sublimation
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The response I got from Roku was um, discouraging, to say the least. Didn't seem to read or understand the request.

Thank you for contacting Roku customer support. I understand that you are having issues with the guest mode.

If you begin using your Roku device in Guest Mode, keep in mind that you will be signed out of any subscription channels you may sign in to when the date you selected arrives. To avoid having to re-enter your account credentials, exit Guest Mode.

When you are not viewing the welcome screen, you can exit Guest Mode at any time using the steps described below: ...

gemUser

Jump to solution

December 31, 1969 is the Linux epoch date in the western hemisphere.  For users with programming experience, you'll notice that this error is typical when the programmer does not store a date properly and the software "sees" a date of 0.  See below:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/26316/why-does-my-gadget-say-its-december-31-1969

This is obviously a software bug that only Roku can fix.  Not sure why it's taking over a year to fix it though.  This bug must not be a not a priority for Roku.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@gemUser wrote:

December 31, 1969 is the Linux epoch date in the western hemisphere.  For users with programming experience, you'll notice that this error is typical when the programmer does not store a date properly and the software "sees" a date of 0. 

Yes, this is the first thing that came to my mind as well.

I'm wondering if this happens if the user first sets up his Guest access without setting an end date.  (??)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
GREGSO
Reel Rookie

TCL Roku TV Guest Mode issue

Jump to solution

This is STILL happening as of March 2022...Roku, what the **bleep** is going on? This should be a simple fix - get on it!

It's occurring on my TCL Roku TVs, too, all a mix of hardwired and wireless network connections. At this point I'd say we in the community have done enough troubleshooting to safely narrow it down to an issue in the way the software engineers have coded the Guest Mode feature to use dates, since the issue appears when the internal date and time are wrong due to a lapse in network connectivity.

Can we get a fix now??