Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msweeney1068
Reel Rookie

How to fix Roku Guest Mode date defaulting to December 31, 1969

Jump to solution

I am using Guest Mode for my AirBnB unit.  When guests sign in all is well, but can not sign because the device defaults to December 31, 1969.  I have to use the remote to change the date from December 1969 to the current date, then the Roku device will sign out normally.

[Image added for context]

2020-08-01 roku message 1.jpg

Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
msweeney1068
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix Roku Guest Mode date defaulting to December 31, 1969

Jump to solution

I have not received any messages regarding a solution to this issue.  However, I discovered a quick and easy fix.  Just unplug the power cord for your Roku and plug it back, it is not back to the guest mode start screen.

A little pain in the **bleep**, but much quicker that sitting there pushing the arrow key watching each month and each year pass by until you get the current date.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Oeyal
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same here.

I found, instead of unplugging, you can goto "Options" and "Reset System" to accomplish the same result.

Frustrating, but easier than reaching behind the TVs every time this happens.

Let's hope Roku addresses this, eventually.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku guest mode

Jump to solution

Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing. Could you please provide a step-by-step account of the process you follow when you see this occurring on screen? If you could also include a picture of what displays on screen, that would be helpful! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
sfields
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku guest mode

Jump to solution
I have the exact same issue. Has Roku provided a solution?
0 Kudos
msweeney1068
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have not received any messages regarding a solution to this issue.  However, I discovered a quick and easy fix.  Just unplug the power cord for your Roku and plug it back, it is not back to the guest mode start screen.

A little pain in the **bleep**, but much quicker that sitting there pushing the arrow key watching each month and each year pass by until you get the current date.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Oeyal
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same here.

I found, instead of unplugging, you can goto "Options" and "Reset System" to accomplish the same result.

Frustrating, but easier than reaching behind the TVs every time this happens.

Let's hope Roku addresses this, eventually.

FMij
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue with all eight Roku sticks in our BnB. All with up to date SW.  I have found the quickest way to reset is to just hit OK when it says the Sign-out date is December 31, 1969 is to just select OK and it automatically signs out. It's a real pain in the A$$ to have to check every one every time someone checks out.  Come on ROKU, hire some high school programmers and give them some pixi sticks and Pepsi, they have it fixed in no time!

schnaiters

Jump to solution

Is there a fix at all yet?  I have this problem at my cabin.

0 Kudos
willije
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

We have 12+ Rokus in two rental homes, and are seeing the exact same issue almost on a weekly basis for every Roku unit running in guest mode. And while a reset of the Roku corrects the issue, we are often remote of the rentals, and unable to get onsite to do the reset.

Any ideas?

2020-08-01 roku message 1.jpg

DM01

Jump to solution

Same issue!! Still no solution??

0 Kudos
cborgen

Jump to solution

Any response from Roku???  

Still a problem for our cottage.