Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tajson
Visitor

Re: How to disable devices from "casting" on my Roku TV

"twiceover" wrote:
  That's a huge liability for the landlord.

Who downloaded those unicorn nature shows? 😄
0 Kudos
Valegor

@DBDukes wrote:
"kissklas" wrote:
I have the same problem. Every time the neighbour starts Netflix, my cast to Roku is stopped and the Netflix channel is started.

Is there a way to atleast rename the device? If they are even selecting the device at all...

When I launch Netflix on my iPhone, the option to cast to my Roku appears only if I'm on the same network. When I switch my phone to my other network, my Roku doesn't appear. That indicates that the two devices must be on the same network, as Roku says on their support Website.

So, that indicates your Roku and your neighbor's mobile device are on the same network. Meaning either he's riding your network, or you're riding his.

That's actually not how the Roku casting works.  It uses Direct Wifi so if you are close enough you can connect whether you are on the same network or not.  They negotiate and talk directly.  

Emissary35
Roku Guru

So there is still no solution to this? Way to go Roku, ignoring another gaping flaw in your software. Anyone can just hijack your Roku player or TV at anytime if they are connected to your router. How about options in the settings to stop this that actually work! Because the options that are there now do nothing to stop casting to your Roku.

Elvis592

My neighbor  is a D-bag, and he purposely  connects  to ruin my viewing pleasure

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

@Valegor wrote:

That's actually not how the Roku casting works.  It uses Direct Wifi so if you are close enough you can connect whether you are on the same network or not.  They negotiate and talk directly.  

The screen mirroring part uses direct wifi and you can turn that off in the settings.  However, YouTube and Netflix have their own casting protocol at the application level that work over your normal network connection.

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

"YouTube and Netflix have their own casting protocol at the application level that work over your normal network connection."

It shouldn't matter what other apps protocols are, there should be a way to block anything and everything from casting to your Roku device. It's a security hole in the Roku firmware and it is completely unacceptable. To not have total control over your own Roku because it can be casted to by someone else at anytime with their phone or tablet is absolutely ludicrous. And Roku is doing NOTHING about it at all, they ignore the issue completely. A new setting needs to be added in the Roku preferences to absolutely not allow anything to control your Roku besides your remote!

lesmikesell
Roku Guru

There is a setting under settings>system>advanced to disallow control by network apps, but I think that is just to keep them from starting if they aren't already running.  If you are already running Youtube or Netflix they may still accept casting commands since that is just the way the app works.  You could remove the offending apps, or just don't use networks you can't control.

Emissary35
Roku Guru

"There is a setting under settings>system>advanced to disallow control by network apps, but I think that is just to keep them from starting if they aren't already running.  If you are already running Youtube or Netflix they may still accept casting commands since that is just the way the app works.  You could remove the offending apps, or just don't use networks you can't control."

That system setting doesn't do anything, casting can still hijack your Roku. Deleting the apps that are being cast to or not using the same network that the casting devices are using are not acceptable solutions.

lesmikesell
Roku Guru

You either have to take it up with the app supplier or don't install the apps that don't work the way you like.  It's not something the platform controls.

0 Kudos

You don’t have to be on the same network, mine is secured af and I just had someone with a device called dart68 attempt to cast to my tv, I get prompts for this so I blocked them from all future attempts. But still I was lead to believe the person needed to be on your network in order to do so which apparently isn’t true