Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mnw999
Streaming Star

Re: Airplay and casting video don't work on Roku Express 4k+ 3941x running 10.5.0

So I've figured out what is happening and why no apps/services that depend on Bonjour work in 10.5 (AirPlay, HomeKit, Spotify, etc)

Roku 10.5 stops broadcasting the Bonjour service after about 10 minutes. Roku TVOS 10.5 has mDNS issues that have been overlooked by Roku.

Grab a the "Flame" or "Discovery" app on the App Store. It allows you to browse the Bonjour services on your network. Upon booting and until about 15 minutes after the TCL Roku TVs both show up in the services list. They drop from the list after about 15 minutes, when the TVs stop broadcasting the mDNS info.  Everything breaks at that point. 

Please fix.

Surfrescue
Channel Surfer

Re: Airplay and casting video don't work on Roku Express 4k+ 3941x running 10.5.0

I have had it working flawlessly for two months now. The issue is NOT the ROKU hardware or software. It’s YOUR NETWORK ROUTER! Airplay is a tricky protocol. It’s NOT routanle and will not travel across subnets or different networks. So if you have some devices connected hard wired, some on wifi 2.4Ghz and other on 5.0 GHz your problems will Begin there. I also suggest that you turn on 

first off make sure your router is using WPA2 AES Apple now defaults to WPA3 with routers that support it…and ROKU does not.

turn in UPNP plug n play.

bridge the 2.4 and 5Ghz networks.

If all else fails buy yourself a refurbished ASUS RC AT1750 router from Amazon

below are the screen shots of mine WORKING!

mnw999
Streaming Star

None of the above applies to this Roku TVOS 10.5 bug. Thanks though.

0 Kudos
Surfrescue
Channel Surfer

I have had it working flawlessly for two months now. The issue is NOT the ROKU hardware or software. It’s YOUR NETWORK ROUTER! Airplay is a tricky protocol. It’s NOT routanle and will not travel across subnets or different networks. So if you have some devices connected hard wired, some on wifi 2.4Ghz and other on 5.0 GHz your problems will Begin there. I also suggest that you turn on 

first off make sure your router is using WPA2 AES Apple now defaults to WPA3 with routers that support it…and ROKU does not.

turn in UPNP plug n play.

bridge the 2.4 and 5Ghz networks.

If all else fails buy yourself a refurbished ASUS RC AT1750 router from Amazon

below are the screen shots of mine WORKING!nScreen shots of airplay working 

Beckymww
Reel Rookie

There is no possible way a non-tech person could do these steps or even know what that alphabet soup is about. The casting process with My previous Roku stick worked perfectly fine with my current router. It stopped working when I got a new version. I am going to give up on Roku and def not recommend it to others.

0 Kudos
Surfrescue
Channel Surfer

I have to agree. Roku needs to publish EXACTLY what setting need to be made on maybe the 5 most popular router firmware. With screen shots.

as you say I have worked in trouble shooting network issues for we years…and getting airplay and mirroring from my iPad to work took me the best part of 5 hours to figure out.

i think we need to be aware that not only ROKU firmware updates can have an impact but also the IOS updates, especially when the have security fixes that affect wifi connectivity, and things like implementing WPA3 as a new wifi connection default.

maybe there is a revenue opertunity for ROKU to sell a yearly remote chat support and remote login ability so they can help users set up both the ROKU and there router settings for more complex funtionality. 

0 Kudos
Ricoswave
Binge Watcher

Anyone notice how seamlessly Apple products work?  You don't have to worry about the router, network version or any of this stuff we are looking at to TRY to make Roku work.  It's up to the manufacturer to make this stuff turnkey and just work for the average dumb user.  Roku has failed us, this support community link and Danny are empty suits as of lately and it's sad all they keep asking for is the scenario that causes this with no changes whatsoever.  Guys, just look at what changed from 10.0 to 10.5 and you may find your own answers!  I too will never purchase another ROKU device unless things get fixed.  Sad, it WAS a good platform.....I guess if you don't want to screen mirror from your phone it's still good.  FYI, Mirroring works if you are using the Roku app on your phone, but it only works for the selective apps ROKU gives you options for, not the entire phone.

0 Kudos
Jmsuleski

Re: Airplay Well not go to a screen where I can turn it on or off just stays on a black screen and t

I am having the same issue 

0 Kudos
mnw999
Streaming Star

Edit: spoke to soon, no fix.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Airplay Well not go to a screen where I can turn it on or off just stays on a black screen and t

@Jmsuleski

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos