Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_z_
Channel Surfer

How to Dim/Turn Off LED on Roku Ultra 4800X?

Is there a way to turn off or dim the LED light on the front of the Roku Ultra 4800X like there is for other Roku devices?  I didn't see the option in the menu and the secret menu didn't load for me on this device.

My current work-around is black electrical tape over it, but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.  Thanks

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to Dim/Turn Off LED on Roku Ultra 4800X?

Hi @_z_,

Thanks for the inquiry,

Currently, only selected Roku TV models to support local dimming (or local contrast). While the

option to turn off the status LEDs is only available to Roku TV, Roku Streambar, Roku Streambar Pro, or Roku Smart Soundbar.

Check out this link for more info:

How do I improve contrast using local dimming on my Roku TV™? | Official Roku Support

How do I turn off the standby LED on my Roku® device? | Official Roku Support

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@_z_ wrote:

Is there a way to turn off or dim the LED light on the front of the Roku Ultra 4800X like there is for other Roku devices?  I didn't see the option in the menu and the secret menu didn't load for me on this device.

My current work-around is black electrical tape over it, but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.  Thanks

Your Ultra uses a wifi direct remote, so it can be placed or oriented so you don't see the LED without hurting its operation.  Otherwise blocking the LED in some way is your only option.  I've blocked many an LED with black electricians tape myself.  To dim rather than block so that you can still check its operation, try using transparent tape and coloring it with a black marker.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
_z_
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the reply, @makaiguy.  My preference is off, but I mentioned dimming in case that were an option but turning it completely off was not.  I was hoping someone knew how to get into the secret menu on this newer device, but apparently that information isn't publicly known yet.

Turning it around was my first thought, but then I'm looking at the power, HDMI, and USB cables, so that's when I decided to go the electrical tape route.  Your dimming work-around is pretty clever though.

OH_Streamer
Binge Watcher

I have an Ultra 4660RX and noticed my LED wasn't working properly after the 10/15/21 update. This last update,  I think was 10/19/21 corrected this problem. My LED now turns off when Screensaver starts and when I turn off my TV (connected via HDMI). Thank you Roku for this last update. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
_z_
Channel Surfer

That's the opposite of what I'd want.  Well, what I'd want is for no LED at all, but I'd rather have it off while viewing so it's not a bright distraction.  The electrical tape works well... it's just ugly if you look closely at it.

There's no software update available for my model.  It shows it was last updated in June and when I manually checked it said there weren't any new updates.

0 Kudos
Dlh2

Get rid of Roku since they won’t fix it

mh16

The light is really annoying, and lights up my bedroom like a nightlight. For a “top-of- the line”  device, this is a major flaw. 

Roku Ultra Bright all night. 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@mh16, the light is supposed to go off when the screen saver kicks in or it goes into "power saving" mode.  The latest 11.5 update seems to have really screwed something up.  I'd suggest a piece of black electrical tape or hiding it where the light isn't showing since you don't need a clear line of sight to the box with the voice remote that comes with the Ultra.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
vaxick

Having the same issue with my Roku Ultra.  Set one up on my bedroom set and noticed the LED isn't staying off as it should when the television is turned off.  When I shut the TV off, it'll go dark for around 15 minutes before the LED light turns back on.  Quite annoying.