Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

How smart are Roku devices?

Jump to solution

I just purchased a Roku Express for streaming live TV from Xfinity.  (The Roku device is connected to my Sony TV via HDMI.  My TV does no have a USB connection so the Roku device will always be powered on.)  I know that Xfinity will start to charge you more if you use over a certain about of data...

My question is:  How smart is the Roku device.  Can it detect via HDMI that my TV has been powered off?

My concern is, when we go to bed, we watch live TV and set the sleep timer on the TV.  The TV powers off at the end of the sleep timer.  Since Roku always has power applied, will it continue streaming all night long, even though the TV has been turned off? 

Thanks- DShow

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: How smart are Roku devices?

Jump to solution

No thats the point of the bandwidth saver.

Settings/Network/Bandwidth Saver >>check on.

The screensaver has to be on Home to activate where no steaming happens.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

No thats the point of the bandwidth saver.

Settings/Network/Bandwidth Saver >>check on.

The screensaver has to be on Home to activate where no steaming happens.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

Here is one idea: Get in the habit of hitting the HOME button before you turn the TV off. This will put the Roku on the home screen, where it will use virtually no data (just occasional checks for channel or software updates.)