Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How does a Roku Express add channels automatically to the Home Page

@AEW Thanks for the added details. There are two options available when setting PINs, one to prevent channels from being installed and a second to prevent purchases without a PIN. I'd recommend logging into your Roku account at my.roku.com where you can review these settings, as well as update your PIN if you don't recall it. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/220128567-how-do-i-create-or-update-the-pin-for-my-roku-account-

Visit Settings>System>About on your device to see what email address/Roku account your device is currently linked to. 

You can also review all currently linked devices under the linked devices section, change your password, and review your other account settings from there. If there are any devices listed that you aren't currently using, I'd recommend removing them. 

As a further step, you can also try the following option: 

- Create a new Roku account at my.roku.com. Factory reset your device to remove it from your current account, then go through the setup process to link your device to your new account. 

Please keep us posted from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

@hydrogyny wrote:

I do have the Roku app remote which is the quickest way to get rid of the apps on the TV I've noticed.

Is that the official Roku app or one of the probably dozens of 3rd party remote apps?  I can see how a rogue app could do anything it wants to your Roku since it has full control.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Tanner,

I have the PIN page set to "Always require a PIN to make purchases and add items from the Channel Store."

I did find one device that burned out and that has been removed from any TV and power since November 19, 2019. I unlinked it.

I will NOT go through the rest of the steps you outline. I have a very complicated life right now and do not have time to play with your software. That is why this constant harassment to add unwanted channels is so annoying. Just now, I came in from talking to a business associate. As soon as I woke up the Roku, it immediately went into downloading additional channels - so fast I never got to see what it attempting to add. Because of my PIN setting it was unable to add them.

I have a TV in order to relax, not to harassed by defective software. I have recommended Roku frequently in the past. Until this problem is fixed I will no longer recommend your product.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

As I was writing my reply above the Roku went to sleep. AGAIN, when I woke it up, immediately there was another attempt to add channels.

YOUR SOFTWARE IS BROKEN. FIX IT!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@AEW Do you have any 3rd party Roku remote mobile apps installed on your phone? If so, I might recommend removing them, as they may produce unexpected behavior. You can see our official Roku mobile app and install it here: https://support.roku.com/article/217288467-how-do-i-install-the-roku-mobile-app-

Alternately, if you don't intend to use any mobile app to control your device, you might try turning off the ability for control by mobile apps in Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Control by mobile apps to see if this has any effect on the behavior you are seeing. 

If not, what button do you press when you wake up your Roku? What screensaver do you have set, and have you tried changing it?

Are you by chance selecting an advertisement for a specific channel when you are pressing any button? 

We are not able to currently reproduce this issue, so we'll need more information to continue investigating what may be occurring if making the changes above does not seem to help. Please send me a private message with the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About, along with your Roku account email address listed on that screen, and the specific name(s) of channels that you see being installed. We can help take a closer look from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have no Roku apps on any device, neither does my husband.

I usually press the Home button to wake up the Roku, sometimes the Play/Pause button.

I don't see how I could be selecting anything by pressing those two buttons. If there is nothing bu the Roku name bouncing about the screen and a user presses the Home button that then starts an unwanted download session, that is a defect in the software.

I have now disabled control by mobile apps.

Previously I had the clock as my screensaver, but now I realize it had changed - not by me or my husband - to the Roku Movie Magic screensaver. That is not one I would ever select since I detest purple and that is a very purple set of images.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Just realized - one change I did make recently - I had a voice activated remote with TV controls (on/off, volume and mute) I had been using on another Roku device. Since that other device is currently in storage, I activated it on the TV I am using at the moment. Pairing the device with the Roku device worked fine.

I doubt this has caused this problem, but it's the only change I can think of.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have had this problem, but not to the extent as some others here.  Mine has been a little different, as I have had channels DELETED, as well as others added. My details: 5 Rokus, from 3 to Premiere.  All linked to the same, pin enabled account. I had either the Aquatic or the Roku 4k screensaver.  I noticed a couple that a couple had been changed to the Roku Cityscape, which I hate. I didn't do this  (and my wife wouldn't have the faintest). I do not have the mobile app. But I have the mobile app screensaver listed, and can't delete it, or any other Roku screensaver.

The channels that have been added include Roku(!), Hulu, Vudu, Sling, YouTube Video, , Tubi, ABC, CBS All Access, FX Now, Google Play, Nick Jr., Pandora and others I can't remember.  Oddly, most appear on the "recommended" section of the streaming channels listing on the Roku app.  The deleted channel are mostly local news stations from around the country that took some time for me to select. 

To RokuTanner and the other moderators:  You were once the best game in town. No more.  I have two LG OLED's where I do 90% of my streaming on their Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ apps.  They support Dolby Vision and Atmos, and DTS Neural:X- you don't.  Amazon Fire TV does, and has a much more attractive interface (and is cheaper AND I can use Alexa with it). You can be arrogant and unresponsive when you have the best product.  When your product is old, unattractive, bug ridden AND you are money grasping to satisfy Wall Street, your CSR's ought to be obsequious and responsive.

0 Kudos