Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: How does a Roku Express add channels automatically to the Home Page

The last two days my Roku tries to do "updates" to install shopping channels. I removed all shopping channels from my device since I will never visit them and do not want them clutter up my screen. I find it annoying that every time I visit the home page, my Roku now tries to do an update to install channels that I deliberately took off my listings.

I don't mind Roku offering updates that actually do something, but to keep attempting to do an update to undo what I have done is irritating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@AEW 

Thanks for the note.

Please be aware that channels are not added to your home screen without a user adding them. The only reason why channels would be added to a home screen during an update would be when a user has multiple devices and a channel is added to one device, in which all devices would add that channel later during an update.

Do you have multiple devices linked to the same Roku account? If so, make sure that all users using those devices are not adding the channels you do not wish to see on the home screen.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I'm not sure if you're describing the same thing that I had experienced, but you're getting the same response I got from Tanner the community board manager. My complaint which was originally posted last week( and has since been taken down) My post was ' channels being added at random how can I stop this' 

After having completed my set up, and set my homepage with all my preferences, after shutting it down, and  turning it on the following day somehow, (and I was never given a reason for this happening) 990 unwanted channels had mysteriously appeared overriding MY channel selection on my homepage. Is this what you are experiencing?

Before I go much further I'd like to hear if you are experiencing same thing I had?  Let me keep this short, the experience I had here was lengthy, if our experiences are the same, I could save you a lot of time and trouble from banging your head against the wall, by giving you the same advice I was eventually given which resolved my issue.

Apparently this is not a common issue to be reported here, I have seen one other post from November.

Question: are there also 990 pay for screen savers under your screen saver selection? I have a theory I am under the impression it may be the same vendor who is selling these screen savers. But this has not yet been proven or unproven. I hope you respond

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The responses from the Roku team are a joke. "They do not automatically download." well, they are. "You are linked to another account." NO, I AM NOT. The emails are even worse - takes 2 weeks to get a reply and the guy totally ignored what I had said and replied "please return the device you wish to raise a refund." then called me the wrong name....

The one thing that seems logical is the screensaver advertising apps that download when you wake the Roku. That's still their problem. They should still fix that. I shouldn't have to change my screensaver to a clock because suddenly they wanna push channels on us. I've had this Roku with no problems for about 4 years and only about last year did this start happening and clearly I'm not alone.

Roku support - maybe check the screensaver situation before accusing anymore people of lying / having multiple accounts linked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Are either of you that are getting several (hundreds?) of channels added automatically using a Roku app on your phone?  If so, what app?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I'm not using an app, just the Roku devices hooked to my TVs. Right now it is fixated on adding Nick jr.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yeah nothing added on the app. I do have the Roku app remote which is the quickest way to get rid of the apps on the TV I've noticed. And yes! Nick Jr. OVER AND OVER AND OVER. And CW channels. and HSN. STOP IT. OMG. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@hydrogyny  Thanks for the notes. Channels cannot be automatically added to a user's device. This is done either directly from any Roku device linked to your Roku account, by logging into your Roku account in the web channel store at channelstore.roku.com, or via the Roku mobile app when logged in. 

(As a reminder, if you add a channel on any Roku device linked to your Roku account, that channel will be added on ALL Roku devices linked to your account.)

If channels are being added to your account, these are the methods in which this may occur. I would highly recommend checking Settings>System>About on your Roku device to confirm the email address of the Roku account that your device is linked to. Then, log into your Roku account at my.roku.com and enable a PIN to prevent channels from being added to your account without entering a PIN. See instructions for this here: https://support.roku.com/article/220128567-how-do-i-create-or-update-the-pin-for-my-roku-account-

If you have any kids in the house this should help prevent them from adding channels, such as Nick Jr. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

You guys state it's impossible like you've never watched Terminator. The robots will never take over. It's impossible for our machine to do what our machine is obviously doing. Lol. I have no linked accounts, I don't see why the app would have anything to do with it - but I definitely don't download anything with the app. When I wake my Roku back up it has the download progress bar on the screen every time. I don't think that it's coincidentally when 'someone else' is downloading things to my Roku. So it's gotta be something to do with waking the Roku, like someone suggested before- it's probably the screen saver that's pushing app advertisements. I'll be changing it to the clock I guess. We'll see if that gets the non-existent Roku ghosts out of my house. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Tanner,

I already have a PIN on my account and it is set to not allow purchase of any channels without using it. Right now, I don't even know my PIN - it is written down and packed away with all my TV stuff since we are remodeling our house. There are no children in our house, neither my husband or I would ever want to watch Nick jr and we are the only two people using the Roku devices.

In addition, neither of us would ever select any shopping channel to add to our account. The only channel we have ever purchased through Roku is CuriosityStream.

There is something broken in the software that continues to attempt to force additional channels on your users. PLEASE stop blaming it on the users and look at your own part of the equation.

0 Kudos