Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimShaw
Level 7

How does a Roku Express add channels automatically to the Home Page

I have never had this happen before and I have installed many, many Roku boxes for myself and a number of neighbors over the years.

The box I will be talking about is a new Roku Express.  I have installed about 4 boxes at this neighbor's house over the years.  This new Express box replace another Express that went bad.  It wasn't long after installing the new Express that my neighbor called me with a problem.  What was happening was the box was adding channels automatically to the Home page.  I would delete and in a week or so, I would have to delete again.

I tried everything I could think of to stop the automatic channel adding.  
I set the box to factory, nothing.  It did not stop.  I deleted the Roku app, deleted the account, changed the e-mail address, changed the password, all the changes did not stop the box from automatically adding channels.

I added a pin to stop any channel additions.  That did stop adding channels but now every time the box tried to add another channel up popped a form asking for the pin.  That was more of a pain than deleting unwanted channels every couple weeks.

Roku is replacing the Express with another.  I had to send in the old Roku (6 months old) to get a new box.

In the mean time, I installed a new Express until the replacement box comes from Roku.

Now here is the strange thing, the new box I installed as a short-time replacement is also loading channels automatically on to the Home page.

I do not have a clue as to why this could be happing.  I'm now thinking this isn't a Roku box problem but something else is triggering the Express to add a channel.

The box is using WiFi and connected to the TV by way of an HDMI cable.

HELP   Anyone have an idea on what might be triggering the Express to automatically add channels the Home page.  I give up.  I don't have a clue as to what is causing it.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: How does a Roku Express add channels automatically to the Home Page

If there are several Roku's in the same house with he same account, the Roku's will mirror one another as far as which channels are added or deleted..

If you add Netflix to one, it gets added to all. If you delete Netflix from one, it gets deleted from all, and so on..

Are you sure this isn't what's happening?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
JimShaw
Level 7

When I deleted the account and reinstalled everything, that deleted all the old, unused boxes that were on the account except the new Express.

I forgot.  There is only one Roku box used in the home (were talking senior citizens)
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 10

Is there still a screensaver that had apps advertised on it, if you happen to press a key when not tuned to roku it could possible had an app to the home screen? If so, set it to clock instead.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JimShaw 

Roku devices do not automatically add channels to the home screen, with the exception of the default channel selection that a user can review during the linking/setup process. If this is occurring, it would be caused by either activity on another linked device on the same Roku account, as @jeffrok mentioned, or by someone adding these channels manually either from the 'Streaming channels' section of the Home screen, the web channel store, or by clicking on a channel advertisement on-device. 

Please feel free to send me a private message with the serial number of the Roku device experiencing this issue, along with the Roku account email address. We can help take a closer look to try and provide further insight for you. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
JimShaw
Level 7

Tanner

I thank you for the info

It took me a bit to get back.  I accidentally deactivated my account and it took a few days for Roku to activated again.  Don't have a clue as to how I did that.

I have a new replacement from Roku in the mail and delivered today.

Tomorrow I will install and see what happens.  My guess is it will do the same but I hope not.  I will get back to you either way.

I will set the screensaver to clock.

Thanks for your trying to help
0 Kudos
JimShaw
Level 7

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
@JimShaw 

Roku devices do not automatically add channels to the home screen, with the exception of the default channel selection that a user can review during the linking/setup process. If this is occurring, it would be caused by either activity on another linked device on the same Roku account, as @jeffrok mentioned, or by someone adding these channels manually either from the 'Streaming channels' section of the Home screen, the web channel store, or by clicking on a channel advertisement on-device. 

Tanner

There were actually two new Express (both on the same account--the second box was installed after taking the first out.) that were downloading channels automatically.

I have installed probably over 50 Rokus over the years, these Rokus were the first to automatically download channels.  Only one box on the account.

Just deleted the Roku that was downloading channels auto.  Today, I installed a new Roku (box 3) sent by Roku as a replacement.  The only difference with this install vs the others will be the screen saver.  Before the default screen saves was used (which uses advertisement).  I set up the screen saver to use the analog clock.

Now let's see what happens:  To download channels automatically or not to.

I'll let you know
0 Kudos
JimShaw
Level 7

"Tivoburkee" wrote:
Is there still a screensaver that had apps advertised on it, if you happen to press a key when not tuned to roku it could possible had an app to the home screen? If so, set it to clock instead.

I installed a new Roku Express today (Roku's replacement).
The only difference with this installed vs the others is that I changed the screen saver from the default to the analog clock.
I'll let you know if that stopped the automatic channel download.
0 Kudos
JimShaw
Level 7

"Tivoburkee" wrote:
RokuTannerDB:
Tivoburkee:

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
@JimShaw

Please feel free to send me a private message with the serial number of the Roku device experiencing this issue, along with the Roku account email address. We can help take a closer look to try and provide further insight for you.

Thanks,
Tanner

I really want to thank you.

I installed the replacement Roku from Roku.

The only thing that I did different with this install vs the other two that loaded channels automatically to Home page was to change the default screen saver to the analog clock screen saver.

That did it.  No more automatically adding channels the Home page.  Strange, very strange
0 Kudos