Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Magister_Ludi
Level 7

How do you record a show for later viewing?

Jump to solution

The Late Show comes on too late for me to view.  I would like to know if there is a way to view on demand.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 21

Re: How do you record a show for later viewing?

Jump to solution

Roku players are not DVRs, and have no recording abilities. There are devices that provide DVR services that you can use through a Roku, such as the HD HomeRun networked tuner. Myself, I have a media PC with a TV tuner and I use J River for recording OTA. The paid version of Plex also supports a TV tuner, and some specific channels might permit saving something in the cloud for later viewing.

But if you want to record something that is streaming via your Roku device, it can't be done.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

Roku players are not DVRs, and have no recording abilities. There are devices that provide DVR services that you can use through a Roku, such as the HD HomeRun networked tuner. Myself, I have a media PC with a TV tuner and I use J River for recording OTA. The paid version of Plex also supports a TV tuner, and some specific channels might permit saving something in the cloud for later viewing.

But if you want to record something that is streaming via your Roku device, it can't be done.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
hewscsi
Level 7

Jump to solution

my roku 3920x only records certain series, but not all that I have selected to record.  i think the roku is not up to the task.  the local pbs station has this old house and ask this old house which i would like to record.  i have successfully setup recording on other channels, but it won't record those two shows.  is the roku a piece of junk or is it verboten to record pbs shows for later viewing?  my vote is piece of junk.

yes, the red circles are visible for the shows when i am looking at the guide.  

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@hewscsi wrote:

my roku 3920x only records certain series, but not all that I have selected to record.  i think the roku is not up to the task.  the local pbs station has this old house and ask this old house which i would like to record.  i have successfully setup recording on other channels, but it won't record those two shows.  is the roku a piece of junk or is it verboten to record pbs shows for later viewing?  my vote is piece of junk.

yes, the red circles are visible for the shows when i am looking at the guide.  

Roku devices cannot record. They have no internal storage space for saving any recordings, and the few devices with USB ports are for media playback only. It sounds like you're referring to some sort of functionality within a specific channel. That channel provider would have to assist you with issues with their channel. 

Dan
0 Kudos