Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeremyM
Channel Surfer

Re: How do you add channels to one device not all of them

@atc98092 wrote:

Many Roku users prefer having the same channels on each device, so this is a case of you can't please everyone. Unfortunately, that is the only solution, to have a different Roku user account for the devices you want to have a different set of channels.

That's simply not true...you could just have a setting that enables or disables that feature or as the user above stated...have a way to hide apps. Roku can please all with a little bit of thoughtful engineering.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@JeremyM Could it be done? Absolutely. But the question was, could it be done now. That answer is not at this time. Separate accounts is the only way to accomplish it with the current OS. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
RusThaDoc

My suggestion is to use roku and fire devices, that's how we do it. For the kids that are grounded from YouTube, we simply only let them use the Roku device and use the fire for any adults only programing. Profiles can differ on the fire devices and be protected by a pin code. Roku should get on board and create something similar. 

0 Kudos
Hambaby
Reel Rookie

They could please everyone by at least having the option to pick and choose.  The people that want everything on all devices could choose to do just that,  (or choose to not modify what apps appear on what devices) and the people who don't want all devices to have all channels could do that as well.  This is a pretty simple enhancement they could make with very little IT developer hours. 

@atc98092 wrote:

Many Roku users prefer having the same channels on each device, so this is a case of you can't please everyone. Unfortunately, that is the only solution, to have a different Roku user account for the devices you want to have a different set of channels.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Hambaby wrote:

They could please everyone by at least having the option to pick and choose.  The people that want everything on all devices could choose to do just that,  (or choose to not modify what apps appear on what devices) and the people who don't want all devices to have all channels could do that as well.  This is a pretty simple enhancement they could make with very little IT developer hours. 

Without knowing the base OS coding, we can't say how simple or hard it would be to implement. Older Roku devices that are still officially supported might have a memory limitation that they simply can't add something like this. Some older devices only have 512 MB of operating memory, and that's all that is available to not only store the OS but to run the device. The basic Express still only has that much memory, so it would be quite some time before every supported device had at least 1 GB of system memory.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos