Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you add channels to one device not all of them

I have 5 ruko devices 3 of which only the kids use so I would like to add some apps to only the other 2. When i delete them of the kids devices it deletes them off of all of them.
Labels (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Mazz
Roku Guru

Re: How do you add channels to one device not all of them

Only way is to setup separate accounts on the other devices.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi,

Please be aware that each Roku account stores information about the Roku streaming devices linked to it along with the channels that are installed and purchased, as well as the preferences and account settings.

If you would like different channels on different devices, as @Mazz mentioned, you could consider having separate account for different devices.

For more information visit our Support page here: Do I need a separate Roku account for each of my Roku® streaming devices?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Wineaux
Reel Rookie

This is really a horrible solution for parents and is way too much work.  The Roku app on my phone has no problems discerning between all of my different devices, and the OS shouldn’t either.  At the very least, there should be an option to hide a channel when you press the * button on your remote.  Then have an option to unhide channels from the System menu.  You still have loaded channels the same as before, so that doesn’t change.  You’re just allowed to choose which channels are visible on a specific device.

I am having same issue and could not agree more!  We should be able to set up channels per device and have on account!  I don’t want my adult channels on the family TVs or kid TVs!

Not_Bob

I couldn't agree more. Espcially if you have say a stick + and a Ultra with an SD card. Kids, Grand Parents etc.....

Sarge84

I have the same issue I think #ROKU# needs to find a better solution. @@

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Many Roku users prefer having the same channels on each device, so this is a case of you can't please everyone. Unfortunately, that is the only solution, to have a different Roku user account for the devices you want to have a different set of channels.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

Yeah but considering a lot of streaming companies like Netflix charge you by how many devices are on your account. So even though it is in my own home I would have to pay extra now because when my Roku is signed on both TVs it looks as one device for netflix, But when I make a separate account on my childs Roku and sign in to Netflix it's going to look like two separate devices. Which means I will have to bump up my subscription with them to do so.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Twinmom2012 wrote:

Yeah but considering a lot of streaming companies like Netflix charge you by how many devices are on your account. So even though it is in my own home I would have to pay extra now because when my Roku is signed on both TVs it looks as one device for netflix, But when I make a separate account on my childs Roku and sign in to Netflix it's going to look like two separate devices. Which means I will have to bump up my subscription with them to do so.

No, that's not how it works. Netflix neither knows nor cares if two Roku devices are on one account or two separate accounts.

Also, Netflix doesn't charge by the number of devices you have. Netflix charges by the number of streams you can use at one time. For example, let's suppose Able subscribes to Netflix Basic ($9/month), Baker subscribes to Netflix Standard ($14/month), and Charlie subscribes to Netflix Premium ($18/month). All three subscribers have Roku devices in their respective homes.

Now, suppose Able has six children, and has separate Roku accounts for each. Able puts Netflix on each of the seven Roku devices and authenticates each.

Baker also has six children, but has two Roku accounts, one for his Roku, and one for all the children Roku devices. Baker puts Netflix on each device and authenticates.

Charlie has six children, each with a Roku, but the whole family is on a single Roku account. Netflix is on each of the seven Roku devices and authenticated.

Netflix sees that Able has seven devices with Netflix authenticated. Netflix sees that Baker has seven devices with Netflix authenticated. Netflix sees that Charlie has seven devices with Netflix authenticated.

Able can watch one stream at a time. If someone in the house tries to watch a second stream, they will not be able to, as Able's Netflix account allows one stream.

Baker can watch two streams at a time, and Charlie can watch four streams at a time.

It does not matter how many devices are authenticated, nor whether or not they're on the same Roku account or not. It only matters how many streams at a time are in use. And Netflix won't allow more streams than authoriized by the Netflix subscription.

That's how it works.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos