Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrokenEye
Level 9

How do I stop my Express+ from overpowering my TV's AB switch?

Jump to solution

My TV only has one AV input slot, so I use a Dynex AB switch (not sure of model) to select which device I want to watch. Normally this works great, but ever since I got my Roku Express+, I've had to physically disconnect it any time I wanted to watch something on another device, because no matter which AB channel I select, it (the Roku) somehow manages to force its way through the switch and on to my screen. Normally this results in both inputs being displayed simultaneously, superimposed over one another with a ton of video glitching and interference (pictured below is an example of this happening when I try to use my Xbox 360). If the other device is turned off or disconnected, the input from the Roku displays normally, though with noticeably lower audio and video quality than if I'd actually selected its correct AB channel.

My question is, why, and more importantly how is it doing this, and how do I make it stop?

Roku Express+ (3910 series)  

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do I stop my Express+ from overpowering my TV's AB switch?

Jump to solution

Wait a minute!  I was looking at the picture of the TV and missed the Roku in the picture entirely.  Is that the Roku in question?  That's an XS (model 3100), right?  Not an Express+ at all.  The HDMI port on the back of the XS should be obvious (trapezoidal shape farthest from the power connector)  and there should be an identical one (or two or three) on the TV somewhere.  You don't need any switch if you use the A/V connection for you X-Box (although, again, HDMI would be better) and HDMI for your XS.  For what it's worth, I get 3' HDMI cables at the dollar store and I've never had a problem with one.  If your TV has multiple HDMI inputs then you can connect the X-Box to one and the Roku to another.  No need for any switch.

One last note:  The XS is an obsolete device and won't be receiving any updates.  There are already channels that aren't supported on that device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
renojim

Jump to solution

Doesn't that TV have an HDMI input?  A/V usually refers to composite connections (red/white/yellow).  Are you using an HDMI switch?  It's little confusing as to what your setup is.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution
Since this is really a query re the operation/performance of the switch, I'd think this would better be directed to Dynex.

Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.
0 Kudos
BrokenEye
Level 9

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

Doesn't that TV have an HDMI input?  A/V usually refers to composite connections (red/white/yellow).  Are you using an HDMI switch?  It's little confusing as to what your setup is.

You know, I'm not sure. How large is a HDMI port, usually? It looks like there's a port that's the right shape. But even if it has, I'm using A/V.

I'd have to go out and buy all new cables and a whole new AB switch if I wanted to use the HDMI port, though, and that's not going to be an option for a while, what with the shutdown and all.

0 Kudos
BrokenEye
Level 9

Jump to solution

@makaiguy wrote:
Since this is really a query re the operation/performance of the switch, I'd think this would better be directed to Dynex.

Doubt it. If that were the case, the problem would occur regardless of what devices were plugged into the switch. It only happens with the Roku Express+.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Yes, the problem is with the ab switch. You could try turning off the 1-touch play in the roku:

settings> system> control other devices> uncheck 1-touch play box

Edmund

0 Kudos
BrokenEye
Level 9

Jump to solution

It's already unchecked

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Wait a minute!  I was looking at the picture of the TV and missed the Roku in the picture entirely.  Is that the Roku in question?  That's an XS (model 3100), right?  Not an Express+ at all.  The HDMI port on the back of the XS should be obvious (trapezoidal shape farthest from the power connector)  and there should be an identical one (or two or three) on the TV somewhere.  You don't need any switch if you use the A/V connection for you X-Box (although, again, HDMI would be better) and HDMI for your XS.  For what it's worth, I get 3' HDMI cables at the dollar store and I've never had a problem with one.  If your TV has multiple HDMI inputs then you can connect the X-Box to one and the Roku to another.  No need for any switch.

One last note:  The XS is an obsolete device and won't be receiving any updates.  There are already channels that aren't supported on that device.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
BrokenEye
Level 9

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

Wait a minute!  I was looking at the picture of the TV and missed the Roku in the picture entirely.  Is that the Roku in question?  That's an XS (model 3100), right?

Nah, that's my old Roku. I'm keeping it hooked up until I get all the kinks worked out of the new one. The Express+ is on the other side.

@renojim wrote:

The HDMI port on the back of the XS should be obvious (trapezoidal shape farthest from the power connector)  and there should be an identical one (or two or three) on the TV somewhere.  You don't need any switch if you use the A/V connection for you X-Box (although, again, HDMI would be better) and HDMI for your XS.

From what I can see, there's only one HDMI port, but I'd have to move the TV to get a closer look. But I'll definitely try your other suggestion.

0 Kudos
BrokenEye
Level 9

Jump to solution

I underestimated the length of the HDMI cable I bought and ended up having to move things around a little in meatspace, but ultimately everything's working precisely as it should. Switching to HDMI worked.

0 Kudos