Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfk1223

Annoying electronic announcer

Jump to solution

Anyone know how to eliminate the annoying electronic voice that announces the result of each keystroke.  I'm about ready to cancel my subscriptions and throw away the Stick.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Annoying electronic announcer

Jump to solution

@dfk1223 wrote:

Anyone know how to eliminate the annoying electronic voice that announces the result of each keystroke.  I'm about ready to cancel my subscriptions and throw away the Stick.

A feature called Audio Guide announces where you are in the Roku menus for the benefit of the visually impaired. At some point you probably hit the * key four times in a short period of time. This is a shortcut that toggles the Audio Guide feature on and off, so four quick presses of the * key should turn the Audio Guide feature back off.

To deactivate the four-* trigger shortcut altogether use menu path Settings > Accessibility > Shortcut (in the Audio Guide section) > Disabled

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
ConsumerMaven21
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku is now talking for each step, as if for vision impaired user.

Jump to solution

This happened on a PBS program. I turned Audio Guide off. I turned the shortcut off. I tried the four clicks. None resolves the issue. I tried other apps and did not have this problem. I watched the PBS programs on an iPad and didn't have the problem.

How do I get rid of this? If I cannot, then I will ditch Roku and get an Apple TV.

It was first heard when I used a new remote for Roku. I turn the Audio Guide off and it usually stays off.

This is very annoying.

0 Kudos
renojim

Re: Roku is now talking for each step, as if for vision impaired user.

Jump to solution

@ConsumerMaven21, if there is a voice describing the action during a video it has nothing to do with the Audio Guide.  If it's only in one particular program on one particular channel/app then it's part of the audio track.  You should be able to change the audio track by pressing * on your Roku remote and selecting a different track.  If there's only one available, contact the provider (i.e., not Roku) and let them know.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
chris27
Reel Rookie

Re: How do I get the audio description to turn off?

Jump to solution

This does not work, Any other solutions?

Chris

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@chris27 

Since several different users have posted slightly different complaints on this thread, I'm going to assume that yours is that the screen reader is reading everything for you. If that's not what's happening, describe the problem.

If that is the problem, pressing Options four times toggles that feature. You can also access it from the menu via Settings > Accessibility > Screen reader

If that's not available, provide your Roku model number and Roku OS version. Settings > System > About

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Eliza01

Re: How do I get the audio description to shut up?

Jump to solution

everyone’s response never worked for me, I pressed the * > Accessibility & Captions > Captioning track > English 2 of 2 

0 Kudos
chris27
Reel Rookie

Re: How do I get the audio description to shut up?

Jump to solution

I tried and failed this way also and failed. I went to the roku stream and clicked on xfinity (our carrier) and navigated to the settings for that and found video descriptions had been turned on so I changed it to off and voilla.

Chris Russell

0 Kudos
Ducky69

Jump to solution

Where is the accessibility option I cannot find it in the menu anywhere, how do I turn down the audio description volume I have it turned off at the moment but still get commentary 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Ducky69 

Commentary? "Adam looks at Bonnie. She smiles." This kind of thing?

If so, that's likely a setting within the app, or the stream. The video probably has multiple languages available. Some, such as AMC+, have left out standard English and have included accessibility (vocal descriptions of on screen actions) within the English (or whatever) language selection. Check that.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos