Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: How do I disable ads on my homescreen?

When we purchase a TV with Roku menu system, we shouldn't be subjected to Roku's ads while navigating to our apps/channels.

Who's with me?

Highlighted
Level 8

How can you watch your TCL brand TV without signing up for a Roku account? It's a Roku menu system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Well actually there are two ways to block ads on Roku Smart TVs.

1. Go to Settings > Privacy > Smart TV experience
  2. Disable the “Use Info from TV inputs” option

This will remove the interactive popup ads.

The second way is to block the Roku ad server links in your home router. This should remove most ads. You can find the links and detailed procedure HERE.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am resolved that purchasing this Roku tv was both a learning experience and a mistake. Had I known this television comes with adds, I never would’ve made the purchase.
I purchased the tv; why do you need to make more money with all of the unnecessary marketing. 

Highlighted
Level 12

@emgrayson wrote:

I am resolved that purchasing this Roku tv was both a learning experience and a mistake. Had I known this television comes with adds, I never would’ve made the purchase.
I purchased the tv; why do you need to make more money with all of the unnecessary marketing. 

Because they can.  You can block websites at your router as you see them fly by real time with a packet sniffer.  It's a ton of tedious work so seriously ads are much easier to live with.

Your only other option is return the Roku TV and get a regular TV with Chromecast from Google.  There are no ads but Google knows / logs and loves all that data in and out of a Chromecast.

TheTick (aka "Moose Twit" affectionately called by chht)
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO GO. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
Level 17

I just ignore them.

Close your right eye.

I dont like seeing poop on the sidewalk.

So there's no sense in staring at it.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
Highlighted
Level 7

Not helpful. These ads are sometimes scantily clad women and not appropriate

Highlighted
Level 8

@jeffrok wrote:
I wanna know the best way to get those dang logos and model names off my car.. help!

Red herring. Your car’s exterior doesn’t display rotating racy/horror graphical image advertisements for unwanted media content. Roku does. How would you feel if your car’s OEM radio touchscreen kept showing you graphical ads for things you didn’t want to see (or your kids to see), or that are opposed to your value system, whenever you are navigating the menu system to select radio channels and inputs? Wouldn’t you protest that you had paid full price for the vehicle, and the auto manufacturer had no right to make additional ad revenue by piping unwanted ads into your car? It would be different if your car’s price was partially subsidized by the ad revenue, but you paid full price! What about TCL brand TV’s that have a Roku menu system? Users of these tv’s are still subjected to the Roku navigation screen ads. This has nothing to do with the brand name of the device. Red herring.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

The Ads to the right on the Home screen are no racier than what

you see on shows and movies and in life regularly.

I never gave them much of a thought.

I can only imagine why anyone would.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Maybe because I payed for the set top boxes and roku tvs so that I could subscribe to premium streaming services and not see advertisements and watch hours of commercials?  Maybe if you try to imagine just a little harder, some actual insight might creep in.

It's time for a class action suit against Roku anyway. I can't get the new HBO service or the Peacock service because they can't strike "deals" with them. The analogy is Microsoft not allowing certain software to run unless the creators pay a fee to Microsoft. Completely Ridiculous. They need to be sued.

0 Kudos