Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

I haven't seen ads in years

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: How do I disable ads on my homescreen?

No offense, but that kind of **bleep** doesn't go over in the EU, it shouldn't go over in the USA. I consented to nothing. I bought a piece of hardware to stream video channels.

Highlighted
Level 16

Obviously if you dont like the ads on the Home

screen cover your left eye and stand on your head.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

That IS useful. I immediately blacked out and saw ZERO ads. Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Level 16

Glad I could be of help.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Disabling/Reporting Offensive Ads

I second this. I am trying to use ROKU as a digital streaming service in a church lobby. When I go to the home screen to load up a channel, I often see ads for certain movies or events that are embarassing to plaster up on a large screen TV in the church lobby. Is there a way to indicate the sort of ads we want to see in this spot (? news, family, nature, science... much better than what sometimes pops up). 

Yes...yes.... its a cooking show (and a good one)... But  you know... **bleep** and the devils pitch fork showing up in the church lobby is a bit tasteless. Again, its just that because there's no telling what will show up in that ad spot... I think it will cause some people to not want to participate in our news sharing program through ROKU. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Disabling/Reporting Offensive Ads

@jgentile

I've found a solution to this, or at least a workaround:

You will need to do some work at the network level.  So if you aren't the IT guy - get this information to him/her.  After an hour of fiddling with capturing DNS queries, it seems the best (only?) way to do this is to block the following domains from resolving to the Roku:

securepubads.g.doubleclick.net
pubads.g.doubleclick.net
tpc.googlesyndication.com

If the Roku can't make requests to these domain then it can't download ads.

There are several ways you might go about blocking this, the easiest would probably be to configure you DNS servers with static records to resolve these to localhost (127.0.0.1).  If you don't host your own DNS, but rather rely on something simple just like your ISP router you can look into a service like OpenDNS which should allow you to block specific hosts for your whole network.

While I see no other negative effects on the Roku, I will warn you that blocking these addresses (which are all Google ad delivery systems) you will also be blocking ads for all devices on your network from these addresses.  While this sounds great (who wants ads?), it is possible that strange behavior can result such as some weird formatting or broken images on web pages to certain mobile apps on phones not working as designed (think "click here for free coins!").  Additionally, it is possible that Roku changes their delivery mechanism to include more sites (its possible that I only captured a few of them and more sites might get through tomorrow or next week).

I don't really like this solution, both because it is not "simple" (for the average user) and because I am a Roku stockholder.  As for the latter I realize that Roku uses ads to make money.  However, if they are going to show offensive (subjective) content and not allow the user to tune these out, I see no other solution than to block them entirely.

0 Kudos
Level 7

personalized ads

So is there a way to turn of  the personalized ad off permanently? It is really tiresome that it pops up no matter what. I didn't pay for this device for it to still be giving me adds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

filter inappropriate ads?

We watch the Roku Channel to watch Sue Thomas FB Eye, an old PAX TV program. I understand the need for ads, and am normally fine with them. However, the last few episodes, there has been an ad for the ROKU channel itself wither really inappropriate images. It starts with an ad for "Good Morning Vietnam", which is fine, but after that it shows clips of several other movies available and the images are obscene, in our opinion. It is very upsetting. We have only had ROKU a few weeks and would live to be able to watch our favorite, family-friendly, shows--but it is impossible to enjoy "clean" TV with this ad. We have removed all "adult" channels. We have set all restrictions possible, but this appears to be an actual ROKU ad. Very disappointing. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Offensive commercial on ROKU channel

Note--I am not talking about the ads on the homepage. I am talking about a Roku ad within the Roku channel, shown during our TV show. We watch the Roku Channel to watch Sue Thomas FB Eye, an old PAX TV program. I understand the need for ads, and am normally fine with them. However, the last few episodes, there has been an ad for the ROKU channel itself wither really inappropriate images. It starts with an ad for "Good Morning Vietnam", which is fine, but after that it shows clips of several other movies available and the images are obscene, in our opinion. It is very upsetting. We have only had ROKU a few weeks and would live to be able to watch our favorite, family-friendly, shows--but it is impossible to enjoy "clean" TV with this ad. We have removed all "adult" channels. We have set all restrictions possible, but this appears to be an actual ROKU ad. Very disappointing. 

0 Kudos