Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: How do I disable ads on my homescreen?

You can change the ad source in one of the secret menus. Try one of the staging sources and you'll get an empty space. I didn't leave it for long so it might change to something else over time.
Highlighted
Level 8

"jeffrok" wrote:
I wanna know the best way to get those dang logos and model names off my car.. help!

Floss.
Roku 3 (4200), back out of it's box because of COVID-19
Highlighted
Level 8

Get rid of Ad's on Roku homescreen

Pay 'Nothing' to anyone! It just involves your time (it took me approx. 15min.).

Reading the posts shared, I myself prefer not to have Ads or Brand names etched or embeded on things I've bought (roku t.v.).
Movie, t.v. and streaming sites etc. offering free content is another thing, as it comes with the territory of being free.

(Homescreen image with De-branded T.V..)

http://imgur.com/gallery/iBIlbui

http://imgur.com/gallery/qa0pdsV

https://imgur.com/gallery/tVX3KDB

(Every router brand and model is different and you'll have to put in the time to find out how to use these ad-blocking IP's.)
I take no responsibility for your actions upon modding your router.

Use these Alternate DNS addresses in your router settings:
23.253.163.53  &  198.101.242.72

Done!....... Responding to a problem acknowledges and confirms that there is one. While resolving a problem will help all.
Highlighted
Level 7

"ghb51" wrote:
I hate to sound like a shill for ads and my home network is on Openwrt with Adblock installed, so i obviously don't have anything against blocking ads, but i whitelisted Roku because the ads on the homescreen are A) unobtrusive and well done and B) actually show me things i might want, can't even say how many times ive quickly clicked on a channel with just a glance at the ad and immediately regretted it because it looked like something i might be interested in, but i know when i click back the next ad will already be loaded. So yeah, i get it, but you might try allowing those ads for a while and see if you find them useful, you can always just block them again.

I didn't mind it as much when the ads were for random channels, but now it seems like every ad is for the Roku Channel. I have zero interest in ad-supported streaming services and therefore, zero interest in the Roku Channel. (Ads are why I dropped cable and broadcast TV way before it was a thing). I will never watch the Roku channel. And to be honest, I don't think the maker of the box or the TV OS should be able to have their own TV channel anyway. (How long before "The Roku Channel" somehow looks better with less traffic interruptions than Hulu or Amazon Prime)?

I will install one of these network wide ad blockers to get rid of the ads.  Otherwise, it will only be a matter of time before Pepsi or Ford is buying ad space there. I won't tolerate being advertised to without my consent, on a connection that I have to pay for.
Highlighted
Level 20

"Stolrah" wrote:

I will install one of these network wide ad blockers to get rid of the ads.  Otherwise, it will only be a matter of time before Pepsi or Ford is buying ad space there. I won't tolerate being advertised to without my consent, on a connection that I have to pay for.

But you don't pay for the Roku channel. If you don't want to watch it, fine. You want to block the ads that are visible on the home page, you're certainly entitled to control what's on your network. There are certainly numerous options available for watching without ads. But you'll have to pay for them. I seldom watch the Roku channel, but not because of the ads. Mostly because I watch media streaming from my home server, not the Internet. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

I hate ads more than any of yaz and ya'll is just trainees in ad hating! 
I remove "...by viewers like you - Thank You" from my PBS material!

I would rather see that home screen ad, than the giant black hole removing it would leave. I hardly ever even notice that ad, but am annoyed when I fly by one that caught my eye and can't go back to it! That was developed by pure evil.

Note to potential ad purchasers:
You are buying a product that is, for all intents and purposes, invisible to all, except those that are so annoyed by them they take steps to remove them, so in essence NOBODY SEES THEM! You could wipe yourself with that money - I hear a $50 will take off all of the new and part of the old.

Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

"Stolrah" wrote:

Actually, you will tolerate it.  You agreed to the Roku account EULA when you created your account. https://docs.roku.com/published/usertermsandconditions/en/us
Specifically, go down to the "Advertising and Promotional Messages" section.  You have already consented.

You are obviously free to block the ads if you wish, but to claim that you did not consent to seeing the ads is absurd.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

> Actually, you will tolerate it. You agreed to the Roku account EULA when you created your account. https://docs.roku.com/published/usertermsandconditions/en/us

Hey, I never actually read that before. What’s this part about the “Human Cent-iPad”?
0 Kudos
Highlighted

ghb51, you must work for Roku.

Their ads are getting more intrusive and distracting.

0 Kudos

I have Malwarebytes on my computer and phone. That blocks ads on my computer and phone. I'm going to check out AdGuard for my Smart TV. Thank you so much. I stream because I am not going to pay to watch commercials!!!! If I want something I look it up on the internet. I don't need someone cramming something down my throat (through my eyes) every few minutes. When are these companies going to realize that?