Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

How can I set up screen mirroring on my roku tv

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: How can I set up screen mirroring on my roku tv

After a dozen clicks on Windows 10 and dozen clicks on the Roku it does technically "work".  If had to do this only once then I could live with it, but you have to do it EVERY time you start mirroring!!! No Joke!

Roku has advertised mirroring for a decade and it is still ridiculously messy to enable.

This not an exaggeration whatsoever!  Just look at endless threads of issues with Roku Mirroring here.

Get a $35 Chromecast and cast to your TV.  It is only 2 clicks on with a PC with Chromecast vs the dozens of clicks on the PC and Roku for Mirroring.

I still prefer my Roku for streams the Roku supports as a PC, phone or tablet is needed to use Chromcast.

TheTick (aka "Moose Twit" affectionately called by chht)
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO GO. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

By default Roku devices that support screen mirroring come with it enabled.

Follow the directions in this article:

https://support.roku.com/article/208754928

I recommend switching the screen mirroring mode to Prompt to reduce connection problems and increase privacy/security.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@thetick wrote:

After a dozen clicks on Windows 10 and dozen clicks on the Roku it does technically "work".  If had to do this only once then I could live with it, but you have to do it EVERY time you start mirroring!!! No Joke!

Roku has advertised mirroring for a decade and it is still ridiculously messy to enable.

This not an exaggeration whatsoever!  Just look at endless threads of issues with Roku Mirroring here.

Get a $35 Chromecast and cast to your TV.  It is only 2 clicks on with a PC with Chromecast vs the dozens of clicks on the PC and Roku for Mirroring.

I still prefer my Roku for streams the Roku supports as a PC, phone or tablet is needed to use Chromcast.

Considering that screen mirroring (Miracast) has only existed for 8 years (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast), and Roku support for less than 6 (https://blog.roku.com/introducing-roku-screen-mirroring-beta-for-microsoft-windows-and-android-devic...), Windows 8.1 for 7 years and Windows 10 support for 5, your statement is indeed "an exaggeration whatsoever".

And while Windows 8.1/10 Miracast support can be extremely problematic at times (not Roku's purview), the Roku Miracast (screen mirroring support) is very solid (and simple) going on many years now, especially considering its automatically enabled - no clicks necessary (with minimal configuration otherwise available required in some scenarios).

When problems are encountered,  more often than not its a WLAN (Wireless LAN) configuration/interference/limitation issue, or a client device (phone/tablet/PC/etc) configuration/usage issue/bug/limitation.

Personally and anecdotally, with half a dozen Roku devices (different models), and triple that in terms of client devices (different manufacturers/models/Android/etc versions), I have yet to encounter a single device/scenario that couldn't be configured to properly screen mirror, either with any of the Rokus, or other Miracast-enabled devices (Streamers/TVs/Bluray players/etc).

And every platform/device support site has its endless threads for problems/issues/dysfunctionality, including Chromecast:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/threads?hl=en&thread_filter=(category:cc_casting_chrome)

https://support.google.com/chromecast/threads?hl=en&thread_filter=(category:cc_supported_app)

In the end you choose the platform/device that best works for you and your needs/setup, and they all have their limitations and issues...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

So you are going to bicker over a year or two ?  8 years of Mirrcast and 6 years of Roku advertising Mirroring works. I'm lucky I remember my name at my age.  Remembering 8 years or 6 years back seems like decadeS.

Regardless it technically "works" with 27 clicks (combined Roku and Windows 10) .  Yes I just counted them.  And next time time I want to Mirror I must go through ANOTHER 27 clicks again.

Chromecast has 2 clicks and it's playing on the TV.

Not a single Chromecast complaint about the number of clicks... while Roku is 27.

TheTick (aka "Moose Twit" affectionately called by chht)
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO GO. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@thetick wrote:

So you are going to bicker over a year or two ?  8 years of Mirrcast and 6 years of Roku advertising Mirroring works. I'm lucky I remember my name at my age.  Remembering 8 years or 6 years back seems like decadeS.

Regardless it technically "works" with 27 clicks (combined Roku and Windows 10) .  Yes I just counted them.  And next time time I want to Mirror I must go through ANOTHER 27 clicks again.

Chromecast has 2 clicks and it's playing on the TV.

Not a single Chromecast complaint about the number of clicks... while Roku is 27.

Had you not claimed and emphasized it was "no exaggeration whatsoever", when it fact it was a significant exaggeration, perhaps it would not have been pointed out...

Again, personally and anecdotally, as far as the number of "actions" required to screen mirror with any of my Rokus goes (assuming the TV is on and on the Roku input so you can see the mirroring, and the mirroring device is on):

Most of the phones/tablets/devices require 3 (some 4 or 5): a swipe (to open up the quick access panel), a touch (to open up SmartView or Wireless Display or the like) and a touch (to select the specific Roku device).  Some require an additional touch or two because their sceen mirroring function is buried a level or two lower in the UI.

PCs, depending on the OS version (8.1/10) require anywhere from 3 to 5 clicks.

There are no "clicks" or "touches" or "actions" required of/on any of the Roku's themselves (other than they be on, and the TV changed to that input).

I understand being frustrated that the product isnt working as you prefer, and even buying a different streaming device (again, none are perfect, they all have pros and cons) to meet your wants/needs, but the number of "actions" you are claiming is necessary to screen mirror seems rather high, including apparently needing some additional "actions" every time you connect, both on your PCs, and on the Roku themselves - suggesting some serious configuration issues on your PCs and/or your wireless network.

0 Kudos