Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HaggardGamer
Level 7

How Many Apps Fit on Roku Premiere (2018)?

I have been using a Roku 3 with a microSD card but it suddenly no longer recognizes the card and I constantly have to reload apps. I am thinking about replacing it with a Roku Premiere but I can't find a single location that lists the storage capacity for the device. The fact that this info isn't listed anywhere is ridiculous and makes me worry that they are hiding the fact that the storage is tiny. How many apps can the Roku Premiere hold before I have to start reloading apps when I want to use them?

UPDATE: Just found a tech reviewer that says it has 512Mb of storage just like the Roku 3. That is laughable in 2019. I will be switching to a competitor that is similarly priced but offers 5GB of usable storage. Been a Roku customer for a long time, have 3 streaming devices and a Roku TV, won't be buying a single Roku ever again.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: How Many Apps Fit on Roku Premiere (2018)?

@HaggardGamer wrote:

I have been using a Roku 3 with a microSD card but it suddenly no longer recognizes the card and I constantly have to reload apps. I am thinking about replacing it with a Roku Premiere but I can't find a single location that lists the storage capacity for the device. The fact that this info isn't listed anywhere is ridiculous and makes me worry that they are hiding the fact that the storage is tiny. How many apps can the Roku Premiere hold before I have to start reloading apps when I want to use them?

UPDATE: Just found a tech reviewer that says it has 512Mb of storage just like the Roku 3. That is laughable in 2019. I will be switching to a competitor that is similarly priced but offers 5GB of usable storage. Been a Roku customer for a long time, have 3 streaming devices and a Roku TV, won't be buying a single Roku ever again.

The Roku 3 has 256 MB of channel storage space, and 512 MB of operational memory. The Premiere (3920) doesn't have the memory storage capacity in the Wiki, but has 1 GB of operational memory. The previous version of the Premiere shows 512 MB of channel memory, as does the previous and latest Premiere+. So most likely the Premiere has double the channel storage of your Roku 3.

There's no significant reason to have additional channel memory. If you run out of channel space, it just offloads the least used channel, and will download it again if needed. It only adds a few seconds to the channel loading time.

I don't know what device you are looking at with 5 GB of storage, but most likely that storage is used for many different functions than channel/app storage. If it's priced similarly to a Roku Premiere, I can only guess it's one of the inexpensive Android devices you can find online. They too have their strong points, but be vary careful they actually support what you want to do. For example, not all of them support Prime Video, or YouTube, and you certainly won't find a lot of the content available on a Roku.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
HaggardGamer
Level 7

Actually there is a reason to have additional memory, to make the re-installation of apps not a common thing that has to happen. One of the main problems is that every time it offloads an app it is also dumping the cache for that app so I have to log in every single time. I don't just use the same simple password for every app, I use highly secure passwords, so having to enter them all the time is a nuisance. Because my passwords are long and secure, they also aren't something you can just memorize, and I am the only one in my house with access to the passwords, so when an app requires a log-in I have to be present.

The idea of, well it doesn't add that much time to re-load the app isn't how most people will view this situation. I have been testing and reviewing products and services for major corporations for 20 years and part of my job is to understand how the GENERAL consumer, especially a non-tech-savvy consumer would view any issues and I believe the average user would expect a device like this to have sufficient storage for a reasonable amount of apps, especially considering the fact that we are moving farther and farther into a time when everyone is starting to cord-cut and more and more apps are available/required.

It is ridiculous that Roku has such a tiny amount of storage in their devices in 2019, especially when their main competitor Amazon provides 8GB (about 5 usable) on even their cheapest Fire TV Stick ($40).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@HaggardGamer wrote:

Actually there is a reason to have additional memory, to make the re-installation of apps not a common thing that has to happen. One of the main problems is that every time it offloads an app it is also dumping the cache for that app so I have to log in every single time. I don't just use the same simple password for every app, I use highly secure passwords, so having to enter them all the time is a nuisance. Because my passwords are long and secure, they also aren't something you can just memorize, and I am the only one in my house with access to the passwords, so when an app requires a log-in I have to be present.

That is a very valid reason. No question. The occasional channel that I have to reload (really rare) has no credentials, so I wasn't aware of that. 

Yeah, memory doesn't cost much. I guess they're just working to keep the cost as low as possible. At these prices I doubt there is much profit in the hardware sales side of it. Another reason I'm sure they are pushing more advertising. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos