Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Hot Streaming stick+

My streaming stick+ is hot to the touch long after TV was powered off by the roku remote. Do you think it is defective? When in use, periodically get an on screen warning it is overheating. Not right!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Hot Streaming stick+

My stick is hot as well.

The remote's power button does not power off the Roku, just a TV that you've set the remote to use.

This does not seem to be an issue as there have been no thermal warnings from the stick or issues while using it.

I have my stick hanging so that it sticks out 90 degrees from the back of the TV instead of lying against it. The inputs of my tv are in an area of the tv that gets pretty hot already

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I had an inkling the remote power button affected only the tv, thanks for the clarification.  The stick is not located behind the set, I use my through the wall hdmi cable previously installed for the tv box. Right now the stick sits on a dresser and it remains hot to the touch. As I previously mentioned That when in use, I periodically get an on screen message it is overheating. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

The tv-controlling buttons work via infrared signals directly to the tv.
The Roku-controlling buttons for Roku sticks work via wifi direct radio waves since a stick is usually used behind the set where lone of sight infrared can't reach it.
Roku sticks do run warm to the touch. Since the stick is usually used suspended in air behind the set, perhaps sitting on a hard surface limits its air cooling.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos