Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jontalk
Roku Guru

Home theater set up question

Since my current AVR doesn't support 4K, I have the Roku Ultra connected via HDMI to my AVR and both picture and audio are fine. So I'm curious to learn what if any advantage there would be by plugging the Roku into the LG OLDED and running another cable from the LG ARC port to the TV. I suspect there would be little if any advantage since the TV HDMI ports don't support UHD. As to 4K content, my Netflix account is standard and other channels are primarily HD content. Thanks

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Home theater set up question

You stated your AVR (you meant TV perhaps?) doesnt support 4K, so you connected your Roku to your AVR.

Did you mean OLED or LED?  Perhaps it would be more useful if you state the model, though what matters is 1080p versus 4K.

The advantage of connecting directly to the TV/ARC is simplified setup/elimination of AVR related issues, and easier ability to switch between TV/AVR speakers, depending.

For initial setup you might want to connect it to your TV (helps to program the remote for TV control), then move it to your AVR afterwards.

Ultimately you choose what works best for you and your situation.

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Thanks..AVR stands for Audio Video Receiver which is a Marantz SR6005, one of the last 1080p models made. The Roku 4800R set up seamlessly as did the remote, though for obvious reasons screen resolution had to be set at 1080. Regardless, the LG OLED TV upscales HD content to 4K though it struggles with 720p or lower. There are no receiver related issues. Thanks again

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@jontalk wrote:

Thanks..AVR stands for Audio Video Receiver which is a Marantz SR6005, one of the last 1080p models made. The Roku 4800R set up seamlessly as did the remote, though for obvious reasons screen resolution had to be set at 1080. Regardless, the LG OLED TV upscales HD content to 4K though it struggles with 720p or lower. There are no receiver related issues. Thanks again

You still havent stated what LG model you have, just that its a 4K OLED.

You initially said your AVR doesnt support 4K so you have your 4K Roku 4800 connected to your AVR - (which doesnt really make sense, unless your TV also doesnt support 4K, though apparently it does.)

Since your AVR is 1080P and your TV is 4K, you should be connecting the 4K 4800 directly to the TV and using ARC (to return the audio to the AVR, since thats its purpose) - that way you can get the benefits of 4K streaming (most of the premium services dont charge extra for 4K, NetFlix being the stand out).

Additionally, some services link their Atmos to 4K in one way or another (again, NetFlix), so you wont get access to Atmos unless you also have access to their 4K content.

Connect the 4800 directly to your TV, use ARC to get the audio to the AVR, and make sure you disable "Auto HDR" and change the audio output to "Auto passthrough".

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Thanks..If you look at the signature, it shows the LG model (55B7A) 🙂 Most of the Roku channels I watch have little if any 4K content and the Marantz SR6005 only has one HDMI port that supports ARC. That said, I'll give the routing you suggest a shot. I appreciate the feedback too! 

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Ah, I have signatures disabled.

I would definitely direct connect your 4800 to your B7 to take full advantage of the 4K HDR10/DV/HLG that it does support (also, all its HDMI ports support UHD, and you'll want to make sure that Ultra HDMI Deep Color is enabled on each:  Settings/General/HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color), and use ARC to get audio (including DD+/Atmos passthrough via your B7) back to your AVR.

(AVRs/soundbars/etc only have 1 ARC port, and thats all they really need with a single HDMI out).

Also, make sure your B7 has the latest firmware (06.00.05).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Well, to answer the original question: since your TV supports 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision, you can get higher resolution video by connecting your Ultra directly to the TV, instead of running it though your 1080 AVR. What you might lose is Dolby Atmos, assuming you even have that ability now (I didn't look up your AVR). If your existing AVR supports ARC, you wouldn't need to run anything back to the AVR from the TV, as the audio is sent via ARC. Again, assuming your AVR supports ARC. If it doesn't, then you likely already have an optical cable from the TV to the AVR, and your Roku audio will pass back that way. Although some TVs will not send 5.1 audio over optical from externally connected devices. If that's the case, then you'd lose 5.1 audio as well, and only have stereo.

If your Ultra is the latest 4800, then you can get Dolby Vision as well as "regular" HDR. Just remember that when you get around to replacing your AVR, make sure it specifically supports DV. Simply stating it supports HDR isn't the same. I had to swap my two AVRs between the bedroom and family room so I would have DV support for my new LG set. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Thanks.. It seems logical to plug the 4800R into an LG HDMI port and a cable from the LG ARC port to the monitor out port on the Marantz since its the only one that supports ARC. And yes, the LG OLED55B7A supports DV though the Marantz does not. I've been hunting around for an AVR that supports 4K, DV, hdcp 2.2, Atmos and the most current AV tech. I use a Harmony remote too 🙂

BTW, that's some collection of Roku devices ya got there. Having been a long time plasma fan, the switch to OLED was staggering. It upscales 1080 beautifully and the picture is outstanding! 

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

My grandson is using the Stick, but all the rest are in use in my home, at least occasionally. 

My experience with Yamaha AVRs has been outstanding, and I'm not using the higher end versions. The one I have that supports Atmos and DV is older, but I paid less than $400 for it. It passes both my Ultra 4800 and Shield Dolby Vision without issue, and with my Shield I get my local ripped media with HDR and TrueHD Atmos/DTS:X Master Audio. I don't have any ripped movies with DV, but I understand that MakeMKV now supports ripping them. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Very nice.. I nearly pulled the trigger on a Yamaha RX-A1070 but the 170 mi r/t to get it wasn't to my liking. Regardless, you're obviously on top of your game! 

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos