Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Hijacking my home screen theme

Jump to solution

Roku's billboard advertising taking half my screen is bad enough but taking over the theme I chose to place a BIG ad... too much. In-your-face advertising is never welcome.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Hijacking my home screen theme

Jump to solution

You can disable Roku featured themes in the Settings/Themes/Custom Settings menu. Uncheck the box and you won't switch to any scenes that Roku pushes out. they might still be available for selection, but they won't switch automatically. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

Try covering your left eye and then stand on your head.

This works great for me.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Since my left eye is a glass eye, can I substitute putting my left leg behind my head? Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Consistently changing my home screen is really annoying, let alone the massive advertisements, though not much can be done.  Roku going to do what they want now they have made it big.  Just in time for another company to take market share.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

You can disable Roku featured themes in the Settings/Themes/Custom Settings menu. Uncheck the box and you won't switch to any scenes that Roku pushes out. they might still be available for selection, but they won't switch automatically. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

@atc98092  that guy just wants to complain.

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I had this setting set. I can only imagine that during some update, Roku changed it so it could force yet another theme I didn't want down my throat. Roku is collecting millions to show these Westworld and Disney+ themes that I don't want ... I want my cut.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

Just reset it. Roku is not some vast conspiracy.

I use Graphene

it has been there or many months without any problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Roku may not be some big conspiracy, but they are definitely in it for themselves. I see my original post was in November 2019 and I took the good advice given and changed that theme setting. I looked again at that setting recently and it was back to defaults which allowed Roku to fill my TV screen with a Westworld theme. There was an update in December and I can only assume that the previous setting I did was undone at that time so they could do this. Roku does charge millions of dollars for that front page exposure. I still want my cut.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

Technology companies seem to reset some settings during updates. Microsoft has done it often. Was it for some nefarious reason, or was it simply the update required defaulting some settings? We'll never know. I have seasonal themes disabled on mine, but on occasion I have seem them reset. I just change it back. 

Dan