Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, Please: Screen Mirroring Drops Roku Express +

Hi, I just recently purchased a Roku Express +. I had one of the very first generation Roku's but I haven't used it for 3 or 4 years so I got it all set up and was excited about the option to screen mirror my phone to watch content that I can't cast.

Everywhere I look shows me the exact same information, which is basically to go to my settings in my LG G5, share and connect, select the device, and then, supposedly, Voila! Except there is no Voila! Smiley Sad

What ends up happening is that my phone sees the Roku unit and after it finishes searching it shows it's connecting. I've already been into my Roku settings and it sees the LG G5 and also has an abled no prompts necessary for connection. But within a couple of seconds of connecting to the Roku, and the Roku puts up a little purple screen that shows a small device and a large TV screen so it looks like something's going to happen, then the connection drops, Roku goes back to its home screen, and my phone shows no devices are available for connection.

I have tried to Google myself silly figuring out what might be going on. I can't screen mirror remotely from my phone to my TV, which is early generation flat screen and not a smart TV, but with an HDMI cord and a dongle I bought that allows it to work that way. But, of course, when I do that I'm limited to screen mirroring only as long as my battery is running because the dongle goes into my charging port on my phone.

Maybe I am misunderstanding things, but from everything I can see, it appears that my Roku model I have, which is a 3900 series, should work as the Miracast Dongle so that my LG G5 can screen mirror to my unsmart TV.

I have PlayStored myself to death and because Developers interchange the words "cast" and "mirror" it's been install, uninstall, install, uninstall Ad nauseam. For all of the apps that end up just basically being "assistants" and taking me to my share and connect page they are no help at all because even though I go through the process the same problem happens.

I did download one app, which works but is working so horribly because of the app itself that it's useless. So I do know that my phone can mirror through the Roku somehow but it is basically circumventing having to go through the Share & Connect somehow. That app was called Screen Stream Mirroring, and I was trying the free version because I did not want to spend $5 if it wasn't going to work at all. Aside from the annoying ads and limited time, it did a lot of "loading. . .", and had a significant delay. I don't mind the delay, but today it was working worse than it did last night when I first tried it. I'm not sure how it connects, but there was a little tab on the side that said to connect to Chromecast, DLNA, or other stuff, and when I clicked on that Roku popped up as an option because the app saw my Roku so I connected that way. Or any way connected crappily.

I know that's a lot of information, but I wanted to give you everything that I've tried so far. I've also cleared my caches, uninstalled the third party mirroring and casting apps, rebooted my phone, unplug and rebooted the Roku. I also made sure my phone and Roku are updated. My phone is an Android 7.0 LG G5.

It would be great to have my phone mirror directly to the Roku without that connection dropping and not seeing the device for some reason. There is no Direct Customer Support with Roku or my model Roku even though I just bought it new. My only options are help center cookie cutter choices you have to select from a drop-down menu, none of which have anything to do with screen mirroring.

Thank you in advance for any experience and or suggestions and ideas to troubleshoot this.,

Kristie

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Help, Please: Screen Mirroring Drops Roku Express +

You said your TV has an HDMI port. Is the Roku Express+ connected via HDMI cable to the HDMI port? Where does the dongle fit in? Does your phone not have native support for mirroring? Is the dongle for you phone?

And, have you read this: https://support.roku.com/article/208754928-how-to-use-screen-mirroring-with-your-android-or-windows-...
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos

Yes, thank you, I have read the information at the link you provided.

I do have my Roku connected via HDMI. I purchased the Express + so I would have the option of either the old connectors or the HDMI cable. After I read the screen mirroring only works via HDMI connection I made sure I used that connector for the Roku.

My phone does have native support for screen mirroring, but my TV does not. Since my TV does not have Miracast, I purchased a Slimport USB to HDMI adapter to try with my phone. It does work, but then I am unable to charge as my phone is mirroring. Again, also, my phone mirroring via the the 3rd Party App from the PlayStore, but the buffering and resolution was not goods. Additionally, the second time I attempted to,use it the audio was not working. That is why I am invested in figuring out how to mirror through my Roku since that appears to be a function that should be possible.

Again, my phone does have the option to Screen Mirror and searches for and finds my Roku. It appears to connect initially, and my Roku switches to the screen showing the monitor and device graphic with the pears on the screen, but then it drops within seconds, and the Roku switches back to its home screen.

Thank you so very much for sharing your time and reply,
Kristie
0 Kudos

I was going to attach screenshots so you could see what happensv when I try to connect, but whenever I try to add an image it's not letting me do that here in this post for some reason. Operator error, I assume. Smiley Wink

Anyway, I resumed it trying again, and when I share and connect to screen mirror, my phone shows that it recognizes the Roku. Then when I touch that device so that it can mirror to it, it begins the process of connecting, my Roku screen switches over to the screen I previously described that shows a graphic of a TV and a device, both of which have pears on them, and then my Roku device flashes back to my home screen. After that happens, my phone flashes text that says no device found, but then it immediately returns back to listing the Roku unit. Something is happening where they're recognizing one another, but then the Roku is getting dropped.

When I go to the Roku Media Player my phone and the Roku unit see one another without any problem.
0 Kudos
rick9004
Level 7

I have the same problem of the Android devices seeing the Roku Express + when casting, but when I click "connect" the Roku screen flashes and the Android goes back to the initial cast screen.  Tried with 2 different Samsung phone 5 and 9, a Motorola Droid Turbo and a Samsung Tablet.  I have tired two different wireless devices, still no luck.  THere seems to be no debug ability since neither device show any error.

I suspect that the problem is on the Roku side or perhaps some setting in the local network.  

Has anyone been able to get any word out of Roku ??
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

This forum does not support attaching images. The posts you see with pictures have the images hosted from another Internet location (such as Flickr) and linked into the post using the Image button, which is to the left of the </> button about half way across the edit window.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
sarahb8388
Level 7

I am having this issue also. I recently purchased a Roku Express+ after having an older model. I have the screen mirroring option enabled and I have tried to mirror/cast from two different devices: HP Laptop running windows 10 and my Android Phone and each time I have the same problem. T

From my laptop, I try screen mirroring to the roku, the devices seem to try to connect (a purple screen with the screen mirroring icon shows up) but the connection fails every time. 
From my phone, I don't 100% know if mirroring is supported but when I attempt to cast It doesn't work either unless I use the AllScreen app.

If someone knows what might be wrong I would really appreciate any help also!
0 Kudos
schnj99
Level 7

Same issue here.  Casting starts to connect to streaming stick from Andorid 7 phone and within a second says "no devices found".  Then in about 10 seconds finds the device again, says connecting then drops and starts over.  This actually worked fine last week with a different phone.
0 Kudos
schnj99
Level 7

Same issue here with a NUI g3.  The casting actually worked with a old motorola G , both updated to android 7.Seems to be a n issue with the express but works with some phones.
0 Kudos