Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Help! Have I been scammed?

I’m not sure where my post belongs!  I need help!  I was trying to activate my sound bar today!  The code didn’t work on roku.com/link and I was directed to call 800-362-3434, which I did!  I spoke with Gary...he stated that I needed to pay for a subscription...for lifetime subscription $120.  I hadn’t heard anything about this for hooking up a sound bar!  I got a receipt emailed to me from GSC Support Services!  Gary told me for further questions or problems that I need to call him at 423-299-3272.  Has anyone else been told this?  I need to cancel my credit card if this is a scam!  Thank you for any information that you can provide!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Help! Have I been scammed?

Yep that's a scam.  Please cancel your credit card immediately.  

TheTick (aka "Moose Twit" affectionately called by chht)
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO GO. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

And you most certainly didn't go to https://roku.com/link

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

@renojim wrote:

And you most certainly didn't go to https://roku.com/link

No, but you probably thought you did.  You most likely entered roku.com/link in a browser field that sent your entry to a search engine instead of straight to that address.  What happens is you get a bunch of search "hits" that are bogus sites trying to get you to come there and get scammed mixed in with legitimate Roku listings.  All they have to do is include roku.com/link prominently in their page text, or to pay for an ad, and they get listed.  The paid ads may even get listed first, above the legit Roku hits.  When you go to a bogus site, the page they have provided looks pretty reasonable if you've never seen the real Roku page, so you get sucked in.

Another give-away is the 800 number.  Roku makes use of no toll free numbers for support.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Highlighted
Level 7

I had a similar experience, but with a happier ending.  I "thought" that I had gone to the ROKU activate page, but, as it turns out, was actually on "TV-streaming.club

The guy rattled on that my "free promotion" period had ended and I had three choices to activate my warranty replacement ROKU device.  Made absolutely no sense... our second ROKU gizmo was working away back on the bedroom, and this fool wanted me to believe his stupid story.  Any way, after I suggested what he might do to himself, he promptly hung up.  I went to the REAL ROKU activate page and was up and running right away.

There are crooks all over.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

@RFP wrote:

Any way, after I suggested what he might do to himself, he promptly hung up.  I went to the REAL ROKU activate page and was up and running right away.

Good on you, m8!

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

SO DID YOU GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO, THEY TRIED TO SCAM ME BUT I GAVE THEM NO INFO

@Deebo wrote:

I’m not sure where my post belongs!  I need help!  I was trying to activate my sound bar today!  The code didn’t work on roku.com/link and I was directed to call 800-362-3434, which I did!  I spoke with Gary...he stated that I needed to pay for a subscription...for lifetime subscription $120.  I hadn’t heard anything about this for hooking up a sound bar!  I got a receipt emailed to me from GSC Support Services!  Gary told me for further questions or problems that I need to call him at 423-299-3272.  Has anyone else been told this?  I need to cancel my credit card if this is a scam!  Thank you for any information that you can provide!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hello Guys,

I have faced the same issue as described above. Got scammed for 350$ for Roku activation and Netflix subscription for lifetime. Turns out that activation is supposed to be free and there is nothing like a lifetime subscription of Netflix..**bleep**, it stopped working in just 7-8 days..

The only difference Is the toll free number. it was a different toll free number but yea the company name is gscsupportservices or god knows GSCC. Called them up and asked for refund but the call goes direct to voice mail..

GScsupport services is a fraud company and has various toll free number through which they operate. This is their main site: www.gscsupportservices.com

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

me too..TV said call the # to activate it. I was charged 89.00 life time support. Dam I should be smarter than fall for this **bleep**.

0 Kudos