Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AbCd12345
Level 7

HELP! Roku won't stop talking [Audio Guide]

Jump to solution

PLEASE HELP FOR THE SAKE OF MY SANITY!

For some reason, when I turned on my TV, my roku starting talking out louud and reading the menu options to me. Whatever the *cursor* was highlighted over, it would tell me. "Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime" and then when I selected Netflix it read out every choice. Once I selected something to watch, it would tell me how much time I had left in the program. 

I am SO HOPING that there is a way to turn this off. Thanks in advance. 

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: HELP! Roku won't stop talking

Jump to solution

To turn the Audio Guide On/Off:

1. Visit Settings > System > Audio Guide

2. Prress the * key on your remote 4 times quickly.

C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

View solution in original post

Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

As mentioned by other users in this thread you can turn on and off the Audio Guide by pressing the star button * quickly four times.

You can also access the Audio Guide menu by going to Settings > Accessibility > Audio Guide.

For more information regarding Audio Guide, please feel free to visit our Support page: How do I enable text-to-speech using Audio Guide?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
37 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Jump to solution

To turn the Audio Guide On/Off:

1. Visit Settings > System > Audio Guide

2. Prress the * key on your remote 4 times quickly.

C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

Heyitsrick
Level 11

Jump to solution
"Alexa, mute Roku."
0 Kudos
squintus
Level 7

Jump to solution
It drove me crazy too. It's a different path on my Roku stick: Settings > Accessibility > Audio Guide
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

Jump to solution
"squintus" wrote:
It drove me crazy too. It's a different path on my Roku stick: Settings > Accessibility > Audio Guide

That's trouble - the fact that there is no consistency in Settings menu between models, that items are moved around.

Re-stating for posterity what RokuShawnS hinted - this mode was likely activated by mistake by quickly pressing the Options (*) key 4 times in succession. It gets de-activated by the same shortcut
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Jump to solution
Actually, squintus is correct in the location.

I blame old age for my error.  Sorry about that :mrgreen:
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
shel1
Level 7

Jump to solution
I had that same problem and RokuShawnS solved it! Thanks so much for your post.
Videono1
Level 7

Jump to solution
Thank you to EnTerr!! I simply pressed the * key 4 times & it disabled it!! I was so freaked out! I had just downloaded a streaming channel that was sketchy, seemed weird. I couldn't remove the channel. Then it started talking!! I restarted Roku but it still talked! I'm so glad it's off now!!
jasonrusso
Level 7

Jump to solution
The problem is that the fucntion is essentially hidden inside of the TV's menu. Go to Settings>Accessibility>Audo Guide and select off. Don't panic like I almost did: he will tell you he's turned off which makes you think he's not, but he is. 

I'd like to take this opportunity to say two things:
1. Why is it called accessibility? It's a subtitles and captioning.
2. Why in the name of the lord did anyone think that thing, with that voice, was a good idea. Even if you didn't see very well, that voice would be of no service to you. I understand that sometimes people take a swing and miss but that broken robot voice is the same one that Stephen Hawking had back in the late 80's. Ray Kurzweil was dominating your audio game 30 years ago.
RokuMarkn
Level 7

Jump to solution
It is a legal requirement that video devices sold in the United States have this feature, per the Communications and Video Accessibility Act.

--Mark
0 Kudos