Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDR10+ and Dolby Vision

Tech/hardware wise, is there anything preventing Roku from updating the Streaming Stick+ and the Ultra to support HDR10+ and Dolby Vision? If it's possible, what's the actual likelihood of that happening?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Heyitsrick
Level 10

Re: HDR10+ and Dolby Vision

This is an interesting article from a year and a half ago that says it's possible to implement Dolby Vision completely via software, vs. relying upon a specific hardware chipset.

Dolby Vision Via Software

The primary issue for Roku, in my opinion, is the licensing fees for implementing Dolby Vision.  No free lunch.
0 Kudos
Maelish
Level 7

Is HDR10+ backwards compatible with HDR10?  Because if Roku isn't going to use the HDR10+ standard, it would be nice to know.  

The reason HDR10 took off so well is because it's a free standard.  It's not the best of the 5 competing standards but it's better than not having HDR.

I suppose it might be dependent on the standards built into the TV.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"Maelish" wrote:
Is HDR10+ backwards compatible with HDR10?  Because if Roku isn't going to use the HDR10+ standard, it would be nice to know.  

The reason HDR10 took off so well is because it's a free standard.  It's not the best of the 5 competing standards but it's better than not having HDR.

I suppose it might be dependent on the standards built into the TV.

HDR10+ is backwards compatible to HDR10. It is another layer on top of the HDR10 base. All PRIME VIDEO is now HDR10+ encoded, but any device that supports HDR10 only will stream it just fine.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos

So then there's no technical reason why HDR10+ couldn't be added to current Roku devices that support HDR10
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"kturcotte1980" wrote:
So then there's no technical reason why HDR10+ couldn't be added to current Roku devices that support HDR10

Don't know. Technically, perhaps not. I think it is more a question as to whether HDR10+ becomes more ubiquitous than just a PRIME VIDEO streaming option that today is only support on a very select number of Samsung TV models.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
tr0
Level 8

I am more worried about if Roku's choice of dynamic HDR formats (Dolby Vision) fails, it'd be nice if they could just do HDR10+ via an update. If a TV can do DV, it must be able to technically do HDR10+.
0 Kudos
elmoso
Level 7

As much as a fan i am of Roku and being one their 1st top 100 customers that bought their early devices. I have to say that the Amazon Fire TV has a leg up on Roku when it comes to new formats. Their devices support HDR10+ and Dolby Vision w/out breaking the bank on a Apple TV box.

0 Kudos