Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smprather
Level 7

HDR captions are too dim

Hi forum--

I think we're going to need a software update for this, so I hope the (Netflix?) devs are reading. When watching Netflix HDR content (example: Altered Carbon), the captions are very dim compared to non-HDR (example: Riverdale). Obviously, the brightness of the captions need to be "elevated" when in HDR-land. In fact, since HDR has such range, Netflix should probably have an opacity choice for text. 100% should be jumping off the screen (full brightness). Note: I don't like to use any background on my captions. I like for them to be as non-intrusive as possible while still being easy to read.

Also note, my Sony X900F Netflix built-in app does not have this problem.

However, if a solution already exists, I'm all eyes/ears.

Thanks!
--Myles

PS I know this is a Roku forum, butttt, Netflix app devs: PLEASE put caption settings in the Netflix app (or scrape them from the Roku caption settings). It's a pain in the neck to experiment with caption settings by changing them on the website, full exit from Netflix Roku app, re-entry into Netflix, test play a stream. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: HDR captions are too dim

I don't recall off-hand if this will help or not, but Netflix captions are configurable through the Netflix interface on Netflix.com/SubtitlePreferences.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
smprather
Level 7

Re: HDR captions are too dim

I have tried changing on the Netflix web site. There is no control for the brightness (or opacity) of the subtitle text.

Thanks Shawn,
--Myles
0 Kudos