Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
notMike
Level 7

HDMI Port Broken

Hi there,

I unplugged the HDMI cable from the Roku 3 and plugged it back in, and when I plugged it back in the HDMI port broke right off the main board and is now rattling around inside my Roku. I've had this for about a year and it hasn't been moved around much at all, so this is probably only the second or third time I've actually plugged the cable into it. My guess is that this is either a faulty port, or the main board heated up and cooled down so many times the solder points became brittle and the force of plugging in the cable snapped it off. Either way it seems like something that shouldn't happen only 12-18 months after buying it.

Wondering what my options are? I've always recommended Roku in the past to customers, clients, friends, and family, but if this is something that seems to happen regularly then I cannot see myself recommending them in the future.

Thanks for any help!

-Mike
13 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Re: HDMI Port Broken

Use it as an excuse to get a new Roku 4?

Yours is the first report I have seen of that happening. You might want to contact customer service as they "might" make some offer to help. I doubt that they would help but it cannot hurt to try.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
browd
Level 7

I just had the same thing happen to my Roku 3, and I've just had it about 6 weeks. Quite disappointing.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

browd, contact CS and discuss the issue. While I can't promise anything, you never know what they can do for you.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
browd
Level 7

Thanks. I've registered with Roku CS and sent in a ticket. Let's see how they respond.
0 Kudos
gsknuffke
Level 7

Obviously this is a product defect. I also have had my Roku for one year and this TV is in my bedroom. I watch it maybe once/week. At Christmas we moved out to the living room to watch movies. My 5 year old girl plugged in the power cord then tried to plug in the USB and it broke off into the unit and rattled around inside. I thought it was a simple disconnect then saw that the solder points broke off....by my 5 year old daughter. If this didn't cost me $105 maybe I wouldn't be so upset.

Please help restore or send a new unit.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
trekkeriii
Level 10

"gsknuffke" wrote:
Obviously this is a product defect. I also have had my Roku for one year and this TV is in my bedroom. I watch it maybe once/week. At Christmas we moved out to the living room to watch movies. My 5 year old girl plugged in the power cord then tried to plug in the USB and it broke off into the unit and rattled around inside. I thought it was a simple disconnect then saw that the solder points broke off....by my 5 year old daughter. If this didn't cost me $105 maybe I wouldn't be so upset.

Please help restore or send a new unit.

Solder doesn't hold up like it did with old electronics. Granted they made it safer, it's not as good. RokuShawnS gave you the suggestion above. If you are within your one year warranty, you might be in luck. That's why warranties exist, in case a couple devices make it off the line with a defect or two. The failure rates of HP PCs have been terrible lately, but we have 3 year warranties to cover such things.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
dslamngu
Level 7

I had this problem last night. The Roku had been sitting in the closet for several months, and my fiancee tried it out. The image had a ton of artifacts, indicating a connection problem. She tried plugging the HDMI cable in a few times, when the port broke in the same way.

Their chat service rep, Menaka Sree, informed me that Roku service doesn't cover physical damage (despite this being an obvious design flaw) and that I should check with the retailer. I don't remember where I bought this thing, but the policies are typically one or two months. So it looks like I've got no options but to buy another Roku or try to reflow the board in the toaster oven.

IOW Roku can't do anything for us in this case. After the retailer return period runs out we're done.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

If you are within your 1 year warranty, I would imagine Roku can honor it. I would PM RokuShawnS with your serial and case#.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

"trekkeriii" wrote:
If you are within your 1 year warranty, I would imagine Roku can honor it. I would PM RokuShawnS with your serial and case#.

I thought Roku's warranty was 90 days. I know it was 90 days for the first several models but that may have changed.

EDIT: I just looked on the Roku web site and I found this:
Limited Warranty
Roku warrants the Player hardware against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase ("Warranty Period"). If Roku determines that the Players hardware is defective, Roku will either repair or replace the unit with either a new or rebuilt Player, at its option.

For information about Roku's End User License Agreement, warranty process, and information concerning other countries, please click the appropriate link below.

I know my memory is not the best but I know that Roku's warranty was 90 days and I remember there being heated discussions on these boards about it being so short. I wonder when it changed?
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos