Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agustusin

HDCP error with new Roku Express 4k+

Got my new Roku Express 4k+ installed yesterday, and everything was working great. Woke up this morning, and started getting HDCP errors when I tried to watch anything.

Fiddled around, moved it to a new HDMI port, and it started working again. Went out, tried it again this afternoon, and the HDCP error is back in full force. 40 minutes on the phone with Roku support, and the best they could tell me was that they'll escalate and have someone call me back (with no ETA).

I don't have a 4k TV, but the display settings for 1080p or 720p both give me the green checkmark next to HDCP 1.4. So it should work just fine.

Interesting data point: while on hold with support, I was able to successfully stream through the Roku live TV via my Amazon Fire stick! But not through my new Roku.

Already tried 2 HDMI ports, and 3 HDMI cables, plugging in, unplugging, plugging in again ad nauseam.

Any help is appreciated

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: HDCP error with new Roku Express 4k+

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@agustusin 

Some HDCP issues have been resolved by disabling the Power Savings features implemented by OS 10.5 on the 4k/4k+ streaming devices.  Try disabling it.

Settings/System/Power/Power Savings (Disable/Uncheck 20 min)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

UpperGwynedd
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion.  I hope this solution works.  What is really frustrating is that when it occurs, the only action needed to fix it is to remove the HDMI cable and plug it in again, leading me to believe that there is a problem with the Roku Express 4k+.  This is also the first roku I have had that would stop, and then start up after the tv is turned off... that further supports your suggestion to turn off power saving.

I've seen this error occasionally on my older devices, but this is a regular event on the express 4k+.

0 Kudos
UpperGwynedd
Reel Rookie

Regretfully, it had no affect.  The error returned on the next start up.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@UpperGwynedd wrote:

This is also the first roku I have had that would stop, and then start up after the tv is turned off...

This leads me to believe you're using the TV's USB port for power.  Don't do that.  Use the supplied power adapter.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos