Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Confounded

Guest at Airbnb changed settings and need help getting it back to my account

My last guest at an Airbnb changed the account to theirs on my RokuTV.   My account works at 2 locations.  My home still works fine.  But I can't get all 4 of the "who's watching" things they entered deleted from my Airbnb TV.  Should I start over with signing in to my account at the Airbnb?  Do I need to do a factory reset and start over?  I'm not sure since it's working fine at one location.  I'm 75 years old, pretty good with tech considering, but this is above my pay grade.  I'll be working on it tomorrow, and if no one can help, I can ask a younger techie to help, but I'll have to pay him.  Another friend gave me a code to use with just the arrows on the remote.  Haven't had a chance to try it yet.  I live in a different state.  I will drive back over tomorrow.  7/20/21

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Guest at Airbnb changed settings and need help getting it back to my account

@Confounded 

A factory reset would achieve your goal.

By the way, did you put the Roku in Guest Mode ahead of their arrival? It's designed for exactly what you're doing: letting another user utilize your Roku with their account.

https://support.roku.com/article/360015612834

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Reel Rookie

Re: Guest at Airbnb changed settings and need help getting it back to my account

I'm super irritated by this as well. I have FireTV sticks in other homes. I bought this AirBNB furnished (with Roku TVs). Even my local TV provider's app requires signing in. So, when a renter puts it in guest mode or logs out so they can log into their account, then the next renter pretty much doesn't have anything available unless they have apps to sign into. Then, we get calls about either 1) nothing to watch (despite we're paying for like 6 premium services), or 2) I forgot to log out of my account can you log out for me?

Short-term rentals need a way to either:

1) REMOTELY re-image the TV to the owner's settings with the owner's passwords, or

2) switch between owner and guest account WITHOUT needing to have the owner's password. 

It's not like short-term rental owners are going to leave credit cards on file, or not PIN protect purchases. However, we're not going to give out our account passwords to the renters either. So, these shortcomings potentially leave renters with a bad experience. 

Many (not all) of the app providers recognize this issue, and let you "log in from web" so renters give you the code on the screen and you can remotely log them back in. Roku just hasn't caught on yet, and this is still a PAIN as we're not always available to do this on a whim. 

Why can't the config be exported in an encrypted fashion so that it can only be restored to that TV's Electronic Serial Number then have an option to reload it from a file (on USB or NAS)??? That way anyone can get it back to it's intended fully functional setup without spending tons of time entering passwords, or having to tell renters "sorry about the roku"....

0 Kudos
Reel Rookie

I just wanted to be clear that my previous post was in everyone's best interest. As a short-term rental owner, there's no way I'm going to let people "rent" or "buy" under my account. Of course, if they log into some app within my account and my next renter rents or buys a video on the previous renter's account - to bad, so sad but not my fault!

If they can switch between the owner's account that has a bunch of flat-rate subscription services and a guest account that will expire at whatever they set as their checkout date, then they may rent / buy movies. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@620 

@Confounded 

So far, no one has said that they are putting the Roku in Guest Mode. I asked that question, and no one has answered.

If you want the Roku to be used by a guest on their account, it needs to be put in Guest Mode. If you're wanting to supply them content on any of your accounts, that's totally on you, but that's not how Roku's Guest Mode works.

If you don't know or understand Guest Mode, read about it: https://support.roku.com/article/360015612834

What is it you're actually wanting to do if not let the user utilize their own Roku account on your device?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos