Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iamfareel88
Level 7

Got a Roku express from a friend but not the remote

My friend gave me her Roku express but I forgot to get the remote that came with it. I have a Roku stick that has an enhanced remote but I can't connect/pair it with the express. Is there a way I can connect it? I've even tried the Roku app but I can't go to settings to see the IP address.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Got a Roku express from a friend but not the remote

I somehow doubt you can use another remote.

But you certainly do need a remote to get anywhere.

You need to speak with this guy @Tivoburkee 

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

If the express is 3700 then it can not be paired to wifi remote, only IR. Newer express models like 3900 or 3930 can be paired to wifi remote. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
C_I
Level 12

@Iamfareel88 wrote:

My friend gave me her Roku express but I forgot to get the remote that came with it. I have a Roku stick that has an enhanced remote but I can't connect/pair it with the express. Is there a way I can connect it? I've even tried the Roku app but I can't go to settings to see the IP address.

There is an app for Apple devices and maybe Android ones called RoByte, or a Roku remote. It's a free app and available on the app store. If you have that, you don't need a remote. Otherwise, you can order one through the Roku website 

0 Kudos
Iamfareel88
Level 7

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

@Iamfareel88 wrote:

My Express is a 3930x. You saying it can't pair without the original remote?

No, they're saying it CAN be paired without the original remote if it's 3900 or higher. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

You have two roku's but one remote, you can get the express to use the stick remote, set up the internet to match whsat your cellphone is using, then you can use the cellphone app to control the express and move the remote back to the stick. That's if the stick isn't purple.

Unplug the power from the express, take off the bsattery door from the remote and put one battery in, put it aside and plug the express in, once its stops roku stops bouncing put in the other battery and press and hold button in the battery compartment for 3 seconds release and allow the remote to communicate with roku until you get confirmation its paired. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Iamfareel88
Level 7

Ah gotcha. Okay I'll give this a shot. Thank you both!

0 Kudos
Cherryty
Level 7

I just purchased a replacement remote.  As I went to pair the new remote to my roku device, I noticed that there is no pairing button WalmartOne.  It is the basic standard remote (nothing fancy).  I researched how to pair the remote without the pairing button, and the only instruction that I found was to unplug the roku stick.

0 Kudos