Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Google home mini in Canada

Jump to solution

Just purchased a google home mini.  Went through the process of linking the device.  (Which seemed to work, when I say "hey google, launch netflix in roku" a pop up on my roku screen says "use remote to launch netflix") I know they are communicating however I get an error message saying google can't control that device via the home mini. Nothing is working.  I am using a roku express and am located in Canada if that helps.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Google home mini

Jump to solution

@Jimmymac @MisterE 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that the Roku skill for Google Assistant is currently only supported in the United States.

For more information about the Google Assistant with your Roku device, visit our Support page here: How do I use the Google Assistant with my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Level 7

Alexa Skill in canada?

Jump to solution

You've had an alexa skill since march, but it still doesn't appear on the Canadian site.  What's going on?  When can I expect this feature to come across the border? 

I can't think of a good reason to keep this feature from us for so long.

I purchased a Fire stick on prime day, and they are doing better with channels I want too.  Maybe Roku can't be completely blamed for the channels, but certainly they can for region restricting their alexa skill.

At this point I don't see any benefit of having a Roku over a firestick.   I wish I had just purchased a firestick to begin with. I'm just going to put the Roku on my least used TV, and buy firesticks for the rest.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same thing here in Quebec, and I use a roku 3.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Jimmymac @MisterE 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that the Roku skill for Google Assistant is currently only supported in the United States.

For more information about the Google Assistant with your Roku device, visit our Support page here: How do I use the Google Assistant with my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Alexa Skill in canada?

Jump to solution

any updates on this? Would love to have the Roku Alexa skill in Canada!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Cylac  Thanks for the interest. We don't have any updates to share right now. You can always keep an eye on blog.roku.com for the latest news and announcements though. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

For Canadian users there is a simple fix that requires you to install an app from the play store called Quick Remote. I use a google home mini, dont know if this will work with Alexa. 

Once installed link your tv to the app and select the device you wish to control. 

Lastly use command "hey Google let me talk to quick remote"

Quick remote will respond in a male voice and ask you what you wish to do... rest is simple... 

Anytime you want to command it say, hey google tell quick remote to.... 

Launch netflix (or other channel) 

Go home

Turn off /on

Skip commercial

Un/Mute tv

When inside a channel, you can tell quock remote to:

Move up / down / left / right

Select

Forward / rewind etc

This works like a charm for me.... The only thing i cant get it to do is launch specific shows on channels. For example if i say, hey google tell quick remote to launch The Expanse on Prime Video. It acknowledges that its doing it, but doesnt do it. So if someone finds a fix for that, it would be awesome! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am in the US and my Google home mini doesn't seem to connect for some reason. I go through the entire process and after returning to the home app, I don't see my Roku tv on there and can't perform any voice commands.

What is going on?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Ahmed  Thanks for the note here. This may be a setup or configuration related issue.

- Try removing the Roku skill for Google Assistant in the Google Home app. On your Roku TV, make sure you've enabled Fast TV Start in Settings>System>Power. Then, follow the steps listed here to enable the Roku skill and add your Roku device in the Google Home app once more: https://support.roku.com/article/360009649613-how-do-i-use-the-google-assistant-with-my-roku-streami...

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos