Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exH

Re: Google Home + Roku -> No Longer Turns TV on/off but can perform all other operations

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:

You can check our more about the Roku skill for Google Assistant here: https://support.roku.com/article/360009649613-how-do-i-use-the-google-assistant-with-my-roku-streami...

This content is no longer available.  Hopefully a rewrite to come soon.

0 Kudos
epleypa

Re: Google Home + Roku -> No Longer Turns TV on/off but can perform all other operations

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD is it possible to request this feature be added back to the streaming sticks? This is a feature that used to work for me as well and my device does not get its power from the TV. If I use the voice remote by voice, I can turn off the TV without issue so it seems to be supported, just blocked to Google. I live in the US.

Having Roku connected to my Google Assistant/Home and having it respond back that it does not support this feature prevents me from using any workarounds as the word "TV" is now reserved for just the Roku.

0 Kudos
esolv
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi,

The link points to Article not found. Can you repost?

Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@esolv The Roku Skill for Google Assistant is only available in the US at this time. If you are trying to view a US support article from another region, you would receive this error. Hope that helps clarify!

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
frustated

Jump to solution

Ummm ridiculous. Add Canada in now.

0 Kudos
Someone7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Did all these things and my roku TV does not work with Google Assistant at all.  Maybe it will self-correct.  That's happened before.  Not sure if it is a google assistant problem or a Roku problem.  For me, it does not matter.  Roku and Google Assistant do not work together - not on/off, sound on/off or any other function.  Yep, did the restarts, downloads.  Yet, the roku app on the phone can control the TV and my phone works through chromecast to the roku TV.  Alas, these functions still require pressing a button on the phone and I want all voice while I am working out.  I would advise Roku you are going to loose TV sales unless you solve these problems.  I know I will look elsewhere myself.  I want  voice only (no button to press to then use voice).  So note to everyone on the roku app you have to PRESS the microphone button.  I want complete voice.  I am really annoyed because it worked for awhile.  

0 Kudos
lmgray
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Turning my TV attached to Roku Express used to work -- Express using CEC to turn HDMI-connected TV was fine with Google Assistant until sometime last spring.   I know it's possible because it works fine with Amazon Echo/Alexa.  "Alexa, turn on the Roku" -- no problem!  "Hey Google, turn on the Roku" doesn't work anymore.  Why not?   I am in the U.S.

Thanks in advance @RokuTannerD  !

0 Kudos
Someone7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I posted somewhere earlier and would be willing to delete that one.  Mine stopped working and I did everything recommended.  Plus, the Roku app and chromecast worked just fine with the TV from my phone so I know it was not an Internet connection.  Likely scenario some change in the software.  Anyway, it self corrected and now everything is working just fine.  I

t had stopped working for a couple of days.  I don't know why it is working now.  Perhaps download the Roku app, verify that works (i.e. through the Roku app on the phone you can control the TV such as the app "remote control" feature for navigating).  If that works you know you have connectivity - phone, internet and TV.  I did an update of the software on the TV also.  After a day or so passed google assistant could "see" the Roku TV.  I have no idea why it is working now.  I did post here of the problems. If that is what caused the fix then I send positive kudos to Roku for being customer responsive which I think is the most likely scenario and something I find very positive as a reason to buy another Roku TV.  Hope this helps.

Roku - just an fyi, it will become more important that Alexa and Google Assistant work with your TVs reliably.  I know in my future buying this will be an essential feature.  Thanks for making it work.  I do like my Roku TV, I have just gone on to including google assistant too.  That is now important to me.

0 Kudos
kevinqbell

Jump to solution

I have this same problem with a Roku Express I just bought (3930R). English. USA

0 Kudos
akulion
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

For Canadian users there is a simple fix that requires you to install an app from the play store called Quick Remote.

Once installed link your tv to the app and select the device you wish to control. 

Lastly use command "hey Google let me talk to quick remote"

Quick remote will respond in a male voice and ask you what you wish to do.rest is sinple... 

Anytime you want to command it say, hey goofle tell quick remote to.... 

Launch netflix (or other channel) 

Go home

Turn tv off /on

Skip commercial

Un/Mute tv

This works like a charm for me.... The only thing i cant get it to do is launch specific shows on channels. For example if i say, hey google tell quick remote to launch Tje Expanse on Prime Video. It ackniwledges that its doing it, but doesnt do it. So if someone finds a fix for that, it would be awesome! 

0 Kudos