Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KorriganQC
Channel Surfer

Re: Google Home + Roku -> No Longer Turns TV on/off but can perform all other operations

Jump to solution
By any chance, do you live in Canada?
0 Kudos
Roastpig

Re: Google Home + Roku -> No Longer Turns TV on/off but can perform all other operations

Jump to solution
Roku and google home not support in Canada?
0 Kudos
KorriganQC
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
Exactly. I don’t know why. May be it’s law related. But Google and Roku no longer work together if you’re in Canada.
I think the same problem exist with Alexa.
We’re still waiting for an update from Roku/Google who say they’re working on it, but it’s been a year now and I’m not sure the fix will ever happen.
0 Kudos
BeckyL

Jump to solution

I just purchased a Roku Express+ and have installed, re-installed, factory reset and tried everything else on the Roku page but the remote will turn the volume up, turn the tv off and on with the button but WILL NOT turn the tv off with voice command.  It will go to the Roku channel, other commands but will not respond to that.  I bought it for mostly that command!  Ironically, Roku in their list of items to attempt they suggest you replace the remote.  From what I am understanding that will not change anything.  Will this be a fix they can do via software??? Come on Roku, these versions are not your low end cheapies!

0 Kudos
yagami21

Jump to solution
Have the same proble. here. I live in Mexico. Should it work in Mexico?
0 Kudos
ShahinNT

Jump to solution

So I don't think it's location based - USA Here 

I do however, this k I know the source of MY errors. 

My roku 3 is wired. I use the roku app to link with Google home. Well, the app seems to want your phone on the same network as the device. If not it'll randomly throw errors after restablishing a confection in the app with the roku. 

Don't know if you guys are all wired, but if so I believe this is the source of my issue. 

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the notes here. 

The Roku skill for Google Assistant is only currently available on Roku accounts/devices in the US at this time. If you are trying to access or use it in any other region, this would not be supported. We're always looking to expand our offerings and appreciate the interest here. 

You can check our more about the Roku skill for Google Assistant here: https://support.roku.com/article/360009649613-how-do-i-use-the-google-assistant-with-my-roku-streami...

I would recommend removing the skill and your Roku device from your Google 'Home', restarting your device, then trying to add it back once more and see if this helps resolve the issue. 

If you are using the Roku skill for Google Assistant with a Roku streaming player, this will not have the ability to turn off the TV that your Roku player is connected to. You can, however, use a voice command to turn Roku TVs on/off when the skill is enabled for those devices. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
KorriganQC
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi,

thanks a lot for the reply.

We wonder why skills are not available in Canada. Is it because of some legal restrictions?

I own a Sharp TV with an integrated Roku system. Is there any way I can make it work with Google (turn on/off)?

Thanks.

iFrog
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey all,

I had stumbled on this issue too.  Having both a Roku, and a Sony Android TV in the same room started causing conflicts.  What happened was:  I could simply say OK Google, or Hey Google, turn on / off my TV, or the TV and would know which TV I wanted.  Then assistant started assuming I wanted the Roku which in my case is a Roku ultra, which doesn't support the power features.  I could however ask Google to turn on / of living room tv by calling it specifically by name, however if I called it "the living room TV". again the assistant would get confused because of the Roku being linked and called Living Room Roku.  Was able to confirm it was Roku as I unlinked my Roku account from google home and things work correctly again.

So, while I appreciate the integration Roku offers, I may just not link my Roku(s) to my smart home, as they don't have the integration as the google devices do, even the devices that have google tech built in, but aren't google made.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@iFrog Thanks for the note. If you have a device naming conflict, I'd recommend logging into your Roku account at my.roku.com and renaming your Roku device to something different. That should help you avoid any naming conflicts. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos