Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jontalk
Level 8

Google Assistant and new devices coming

Friends..Just saw this on Android Central and it's pretty exciting: https://goo.gl/qXJ4kj   Meanwhile I'm still rocking a Roku 3 which has been pretty bulletproof though I wish it supported 4K now that I have an LG OLED Smiley Happy

Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
bvd1022
Level 9

Re: Google Assistant and new devices coming

I also read about the Google integration that will soon be introduced on Roku devices. I wonder if this means that Google will be either phasing out their Android TV platform or transferring it to Roku's platform, which in my experience is far simpler and less confusing. At minimum, I hope this will mean that apps currently not available on Roku such as Facebook video, which is a necessity for me to have access to due to the sporting events (Primarily Boxing) that I cover that is available on other devices will be made available on Roku. 

Although I do use other devices for that reason, I prefer Roku over others on the market due to the amount of services one can access and overall ease of use. The only other thing I wish would come to Roku would be a Single Sign-on option, where one can login either on a Roku device or on Roku's website and link their TV provider, which will open access to all the TV Everywhere apps. It can get annoying having to reactivate access to apps you have access to per your TV provider every few weeks. The biggest ones for me are TBS, TNT, and Showtime Anytime. If Roku had a feature where I can just link my TV provider to my Roku and as long as I subscribe to a channel, I'd get access to the app without having to constantly reactivate, I would be all for it.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 8

Evidently OS 9 will be released soon and with it will be Google Asst among other features which allows for voice searches like "find free comedy series" etc. I agree with what you're saying though personally I don't watch mainstream TV due to the commercials, though I have to subscribe to basic in order to get HBO. Can't live without Bill Maher, LOL. Regardless, I think the Walmart exclusives are a mistake since all custom tailored Walmart products are low quality when compared to the originals.
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"jontalk" wrote:
Friends..Just saw this on Android Central and it's pretty exciting: https://goo.gl/qXJ4kj   Meanwhile I'm still rocking a Roku 3 which has been pretty bulletproof though I wish it supported 4K now that I have an LG OLED Smiley Happy

As someone with four (4) Amazon Echo smart speakers and two (2) TCL Roku TV's, I will be more excited if, and likely a big IF, that we see Alexa support integrated into Roku any time soon. But, it is indeed a nice update for Google Home and Google Assistant users.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
bozzy
Level 9

"bvd1022" wrote:
I also read about the Google integration that will soon be introduced on Roku devices. I wonder if this means that Google will be either phasing out their Android TV platform or transferring it to Roku's platform, which in my experience is far simpler and less confusing. At minimum, I hope this will mean that apps currently not available on Roku such as Facebook video, which is a necessity for me to have access to due to the sporting events (Primarily Boxing) that I cover that is available on other devices will be made available on Roku. 

No, it doesn't mean any of that. Roku has created an API for Google Assistant integration so you can do things like launch apps, control playback, etc from Google Assistant devices. It will not have any affect on what apps are available for the Roku platform. And this isn't any shift in Google's strategy. Their strategy is to bring Google Assistant support to as many devices as possible.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 8

I'm seeing audio issues here on the forum for those that own Ultra or Premiere + where they're no longer able to get DD pass through. I imagine the same thing will prevail with the newer models, Google asst aside.
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos