Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casadblu
Reel Rookie

Going from Roku back to cable

The Roku iPhone app allows me to turn on Roku and watch without needing to use my tv remote to change inputs from the cable.  Is there a way to use the iPhone app to leave Roku and go back to cable networks or must I use the tv remote to change inputs?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Going from Roku back to cable

@casadblu 

Roku does not control the TV input, either via a remote or via an app.

What you're perceiving as Roku changing the input is actually something different. When you use the remote to activate your Roku device, the device is not changing the TV input. It is telling the TV that the Roku device is active. The TV has settings configured in such a way that if a device that is not on active input signals the TV, the TV can change the input to that device. Those settings on the TV itself can be changed to not do that.

Think of it like in a classroom. The Roku is raising its hand (sending the active signal), then the TV is calling on it (changing the input to Roku), when then Roku speaks (shows on the screen).

What is not happening is that the Roku is not simply speaking out of turn (changing the input and displaying on the screen).

The result of either is that Roku is speaking (displaying on the TV screen), but the way it is happening is different. Meaning Roku isn't making the change, but the TV is answering Roku's call and the TV is making the change.

So, you have to use the TV remote to change inputs.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
casadblu
Reel Rookie

Then why does the input change automatically when I use the app on my iPhone?  I don’t have to change the input on my tv remote to get to Roku.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@casadblu 

Let me try again.

When you use a remote (the physical remote or the app on a phone) the Roku will respond, right?

That response sends a signal to the TV. Remember the "raising the hand" analogy? That's the Roku telling the TV that it is active.

The TV recognizes that, and the TV changes the input. Remember the "calling on Roku" analogy? That's the TV changing the input to Roku.

The Roku is not changing the channel, the TV is doing that, because the Roku said it was active.

If the Roku was making the change, the Roku would simply take over. Remember the "speaking out of turn" analogy? Roku does not do that.

Roku does not have the ability to change the input. Roku does have the ability to ask, and the TV can decide to change or not. Your TV is configured to say yes, and change the input.

Roku cannot tell a different device to ask. Roku can only ask for itself, meaning the TV will only change TO Roku based on Roku actions. The TV cannot change to others based on Roku actions, because Roku cannot communicate with the other devices or TV inputs.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos