Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Geographical restrictions on model 3500R streaming stick ?

Jump to solution

Purchased a model 3500R streaming stick in the US. Brought back to Canada. Device is registered and can access Netflick but cannot get it to work with Prime video on my Canadian amazon acct. is there a geographical restriction and how can this be resolved ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Geographical restrictions on model 3500R streaming stick ?

Jump to solution

@rjm164 

Thanks for the post.

It sounds like you may have created a Roku account that isn't located in your current region. If channels in your region are not available, it may indicate that your device is linked to an account that was created in a different region where that channel may not be offered by the channel provider. You'll want to make sure that you are using an internet connection located in the correct region when creating your account. You can check your IP address' reported location by visiting www.whatismyip.com - If you see an issue, you'll need to contact your ISP to help resolve any issue.

We would recommend creating a new Roku account in your region. For more information about how to create a new account, visit our Support page here: How do I create a Roku® account? Once your new account is set up, try to perform a factory reset on your device and link it to your new account. For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

If your Roku account was created while you were in the US, with a US IP address, bringing the device into another country can cause access issues with some channels. Even though Netflix (for example) is available in both countries, content might differ for the two locations due to licensing agreements. 

So, if you're in Canada, your Roku account must also be registered as Canadian. I don't think Roku staff are permitted to change an account geo-code, so the easiest thing to do is to create a new account from a Canadian location. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@rjm164 

Thanks for the post.

It sounds like you may have created a Roku account that isn't located in your current region. If channels in your region are not available, it may indicate that your device is linked to an account that was created in a different region where that channel may not be offered by the channel provider. You'll want to make sure that you are using an internet connection located in the correct region when creating your account. You can check your IP address' reported location by visiting www.whatismyip.com - If you see an issue, you'll need to contact your ISP to help resolve any issue.

We would recommend creating a new Roku account in your region. For more information about how to create a new account, visit our Support page here: How do I create a Roku® account? Once your new account is set up, try to perform a factory reset on your device and link it to your new account. For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Tks. Created new Roku acct. went back to factory settings on the streaming stick. Turns out the Roku 3500 streaming stick is not a compatible device for Prime Video. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Tks. Tried suggestion. Turns out Roku 3500 streaming stick is not a compatible device for Prime Video.

0 Kudos