Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blade_005
Level 11

Re: First thoughts on Alexa for Roku skill

"twiceover" wrote:
So my problem earlier is that the device in Alexa is not "Roku TV", it is the name of my TV.  I changed the name in Alexa to just be "TV" to make things simpler and it started working.

"Alexa turn on TV" turned the TV on or off if requested

Can't launch Netflix.  I get a popup telling me to navigate to it with my remote.  Not sure what that is all about but is easily our most used app.  Other apps I tried worked fine.even "Alexa launch Pluto TV on TV" worked which I thought for sure she would barf on.

Can't set the TV to specific volume.

The Netflix Launch is a known issue that Roku noted on their Alexa support page. Same issue with volume. Can not specify a specific number. Only moves in increments of 10, which is not very useful if trying to make subtle adjustments.

NOTES:
Using your voice to launch Netflix or access Netflix content is not currently supported when using the Roku skill for Amazon Alexa.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

My Roku was named "Roku Living Room TV" or so something like that in my Alexa settings.. renamed it to just "Roku TV" and a lot of my command related problems went away.

Tanner, is there a way to set the TV to a specific numeric volume, such as "Alexa, set Roku tv volume to 12". 12 is a nice quiet level for me. Normal viewing for us is around 22 or so, or 30 if it's a quieter broadcast or one with heavy accents. It'd be nice to have it jump down or up with one command.

Thanks!
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@mikedboss

Thanks for raising this. I've passed along your observation to our team to take a closer look. Feel free to follow up with me via PM if you have any other feedback to share. 

@blade_005 

Thanks for the feedback here! I'll pass this along to our team as well. If you have any additional feedback, send me a PM and I will share it with our team. 

@twiceover - I might suggest trying to remove/disable the skill from your Alexa app, then try setting it up once more. You can see more information and tips here: https://support.roku.com/article/360017961074-how-do-i-use-amazon-alexa-with-my-roku-streaming-devic...

If that still isn't doing the trick, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About and I'll follow up to help you directly. 

@jeffrok

That may not be supported currently, but I'll raise the suggestion with our team.

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

FYI

I was able to get multiple Roku TV's working after reading through a few articles and figuring out what the LINK DEVICES option in Advanced Settings in the Roku SKILL will allow. It is not an elegant process to get set up, but if you are okay with specific Alexa / Echo Speakers or Alexa App on phone controlling specific Roku devices, you can have voice control of multiple Roku devices.

SETUP PROCESS:

1. Go through initial process of ENABLING and LINKING Roku SKILL in Alexa app and select your first Roku device. Allow the process to run and the Discovery process to find your NEW TV DEVICE. You may be prompted to MANAGE and LINK DEVICES at this point which will allow you to select your Roku device and link specific Alexa or Echo speakers to this device. If you initially don't get this prompt you can access it in the Roku SKILL under SETTINGS -- ADVANCED SETTINGS -- MANAGE in TV & VIDEO. Your Roku device should now be linked to specific speakers in your setup.

2. HERE IS THE LESS THAN ELEGANT PART. Once the first Roku device is setup, you have to DISABLE the Roku SKILL and then RE-ENABLE the SKILL to select another Roku device and go through the same Discovery and LINK process to specific speakers. This will have to be done for each Roku device. I did it for two (2) TCL Roku TV's. One downstairs and linked to downstairs speakers in Living Room and Den and to Alexa app on phone. The second TV in bedroom linked to Alexa device in that room. Initial testing has both responding to Alexa Roku Skill commands that are initiated from the specific speakers they are linked to.

Hope that helps out anyone that is looking to extend this capability to multiple devices.

CHEERS!!
0 Kudos
Netjera
Level 7

I love being able to control my Roku smart TV with Alexa.  I've been having hit-or-miss success with commands, however.  I couldn't find a list of all of the Alexa commands for Roku, so I just started trying everything I could think of.  Here's my results:

"Alexa, turn on Roku":  Works great!
"Alexa, turn off Roku":  Also success!
"Alexa, set volume to #": sets volume to the exact number.  "Alexa, lower volume on Roku": lowers the volume by 5 points.  "Alexa, mute Roku", :mutes the volume at its current level - Excellent!
"Alexa, switch to cable box/turn on cable box/launch cable box": Alexa responds with "OK" but nothing happens.  Sometimes a flag "Switching to cable input" is seen in the upper right-hand corner, but the TV never actually shows what's on the cable box.
"Alexa, launch Netflix on Roku": Doesn't work.  Known issue.
"Alexa, launch Boomerang on Roku":  Alexa responds with, "Hmm... I can't open it right now."
"Alexa, launch Relaxation on Roku": I have a channel called "Relaxation Music and Sound VIDEO" on Roku.  No matter which way I call for this channel, Roku performs a search instead of opening it.
"Alexa, launch the Great Courses":  I have my Great Courses account linked to Roku, and it shows up as a channel.  I had to set this up on the web.  This is different, I think, from the standard Great Courses channel, which asks you to subscribe to it.  I do not have that one installed.  When I try to launch my Great Courses account channel, the Roku shows a flag at the bottom of the screen telling me that "The Great Courses is not installed" and asking if I want to install it.  I'm pretty sure it's not actually seeing what I have installed, but rather looking for specific installations of things.
"Alexa, launch YouTube": Works great.  Cannot figure out how to get Alexa to pick a video and launch it, however.  Is it supposed to be able to do this?
"Alexa, launch Prime Video on Roku": Opens Prime Video.  Haven't investigated this further, because my account isn't set up yet.
"Alexa, launch Weather Nation on Roku":  Alexa responds with, "Sorry, I couldn't launch it."
"Alexa, launch Adult Swim on Roku":  Switches to the antennae.  Tells me what's on, but since I don't have an antennae, but a cable box instead, doesn't actually play anything.  I also have the Adult Swim channel installed, and it doesn't open that, either.
"Alexa, launch Google Play on Roku": Opens correctly.  Trying to find anything on the Google Play menu with Alexa, causes her to do a general search and return a list of results, instead of opening a movie on the Roku.
"Alexa, (go/go to/launch) Featured Free on Roku": Alexa doesn't switch from the home menu and says, "I'm sorry, I'm not sure how to help you with that."
"Alexa, (go to/show) My Feed on Roku":  Same results as trying to move from Home to Featured Free

I have many more channels, but this gives a good representation of the types of things I've been experiencing.  In a nutshell, Alexa can't actually navigate the Roku menu at all.  She can only directly access channels that are enabled, not necessarily loaded on home, and which are completely unique.  Channels such as "The Great Courses" which has three different version (account, channel, Great Courses plus) or channels like Adult Swim, which are available through more than one service, confuse her. 

So far, it seems that Alexa can power on/off the TV, open big name channels but navigate their selections or menus (It would be helpful if someone compiled a list of WHICH channels), change the volume and switch inputs.  Beyond that, it's still rather limited.  However, kudos for a great start.  Just being able to direct the TV in the dark is a major benefit.

Incidentally (and unrelated), has anyone figured out how to use the Amazon Echo as a speaker paired to a Roku TV?  I can't seem to find information on that anywhere.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"Netjera" wrote:
Incidentally (and unrelated), has anyone figured out how to use the Amazon Echo as a speaker paired to a Roku TV?  I can't seem to find information on that anywhere.  Thanks!

Follow the instructions from Roku Skill page to DISCOVER any of your Roku devices from the Alexa app and then you can pair any of your Echo speakers to a specific Roku device. The notes on Roku Skill page says only one (1) Roku device, but I have three (3) Roku TV's set up and paired to three (3) different Echo speakers working just fine. Trick is to Enable the Skill, Discover a Roku Device and Pair it to a Echo speaker and then Disable the skill.Enable it again to pair a second Roku Device to another Echo speaker. Did this three times and got all three linked and working.

https://www.amazon.com/Roku/dp/B07KCPWH27/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=roku+skill&qid=1568839319&s=gateway&sr... 
0 Kudos
Netjera
Level 7

"blade_005" wrote:
"Netjera" wrote:

Follow the instructions from Roku Skill page to DISCOVER any of your Roku devices from the Alexa app and then you can pair any of your Echo speakers to a specific Roku device. The notes on Roku Skill page says only one (1) Roku device, but I have three (3) Roku TV's set up and paired to three (3) different Echo speakers working just fine. Trick is to Enable the Skill, Discover a Roku Device and Pair it to a Echo speaker and then Disable the skill.Enable it again to pair a second Roku Device to another Echo speaker. Did this three times and got all three linked and working.

https://www.amazon.com/Roku/dp/B07KCPWH27/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=roku+skill&qid=1568839319&s=gateway&sr...

And this allows me to listen to TV through the Echo?
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"Netjera" wrote:
"blade_005" wrote:
"Netjera" wrote:

And this allows me to listen to TV through the Echo?

Sorry. No. I missed the pairing as speaker part of your question. I thought you were trying to get your Echo paired for voice control. Don't think that is possible with an Echo device.
0 Kudos
ejcor
Level 8

How do you unpause your Roku using Alexa after you paused it?

ejcor
Level 8

I figured it out myself. For everyone else who needs to know, it's: "Alexa ..... continue on Roku".

Your welcome!

0 Kudos